Honey Bun Cake is a classic dessert that is simple to make for any day of the week and delicious enough for special occasions. A cake mix recipe with a cinnamon and pecan filling, topped with a sweet powdered sugar icing.
Cinnamon desserts are always calling my name! From my favorite Homemade Cinnamon Rolls to this easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake and Fresh Apple Cake, they are perfect for breakfast, brunch and of course dessert!
Honey Bun Cake ~ Easy Dessert Recipe
Honey buns have always been a treat for my kids and this honey bun cake has the same amazing flavor. It's perfect for a weekend brunch or any family get together. I've adapted this recipe from the classic Betty Crocker cake mix box.
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Large Eggs
- Sour Cream
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Honey Bun Cake:
- Add the cake mix, butter, eggs and sour cream to a mixer bowl and beat until combined.
- Use the butter wrappers to grease a 9 x 13 pan or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon.
- Pour half of cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over cake batter.
- Spread remaining batter over pecan mixture.
- Bake for 40- 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix icing together in a bowl using the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack, cool 5 minutes.
- Use a bamboo skewer or fork to prick the cake.
- Pour icing over warm cake, spread evenly.
- Cool cake for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Icing: Spread the icing in one direction, using long strokes. If you go back and forth on the warm cake, it will pull up the top layer of the cake.
- Variations: You can add other flavors to the icing to change it up. Add orange zest or sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips.
- Storage: Store at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap up to 3 days. Store in refrigerator up to 6 days.
- Occasions: Holiday brunch, Easter, 4th of July, Christmas, birthdays, special occasions.
More Easy Cake Mix Recipes to Try:
- Marble Sheet Cake is a super simple cake mix recipe with a fudgy chocolate and vanilla cake topped with chocolate sour cream frosting.
- Coconut Cream Cake is a decadent and delicious cake perfect for Easter and a favorite for any coconut lover.
- Apple Dump Cake is one of our all-time favorite desserts. Canned pie filling topped with cake mix, butter and pecans. It's seriously one of the easiest desserts you can make.
If you are looking for a simple dessert that everyone will love, this easy Honey Bun Cake will do the trick. It's a light and fluffy coffee cake to serve for brunch or dessert filled with delicious honey bun flavors.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON FACEBOOK!
- 15.25 ounce Yellow Cake Mix
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixer bowl, add cake mix, softened butter, sour cream and eggs. Keep the butter wrappers to grease a 9 x 13 pan or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Mix on low speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Raise to medium-high speed, beat one minute. Stop the mixer and scrape sides and bottom of the bowl. Continue to beat 1 more minute.
- Pour half of cake batter into prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the cake batter evenly.
- Dollop remaining cake batter over the cinnamon mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40- 45 minute or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out without cake crumbs.
- Remove from the oven to a wire rack, cool 5 minutes.
- Use a knife or bamboo skewer to prick the cake all over.
- Make the icing in a bowl by whisking together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Pour over cake and spread evenly.
- Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 5g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.