Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are incredibly soft with a gooey cinnamon filling and cream cheese icing. Our family favorite recipe that is a must have for weekend mornings and holiday gatherings.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are always a treat. I make this easy recipe often and it doesn't take long for them to disappear! No worries if you don't have a stand mixer, you can knead the dough by hand and have tender and delicious cinnamon rolls fresh from your oven in just a few hours.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I have an ongoing partnership with Red Star Yeast but this is not a sponsored post.
How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls:
- Start with lukewarm milk. You can set your milk out in advance or heat it for about 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave.
- Stir in your sugar and yeast. I like to use Platinum Red Star Yeast. It has dough enhancers that will ensure your dough to be perfect, every time!
- Next, add in the softened or melted butter and eggs. Stir mixture together and set aside about 5 minutes.
- You will now start adding in the flour, 2 cups with the salt to start with and then ½ cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon or a dough whisk until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the bowl. I added about 3 ½ cups.
- Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes, turning the dough over and pressing it into itself. The dough will be smooth and no longer be sticky.
- Place dough in a well greased bowl and turn to coat the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead out any air bubbles.
- Use a rolling pin to form a rectangle, about 12 inches by 18 inches.
- Spread dough with softened butter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough tightly from the long end.
- Use a serrated knife to gently cut into 1 ½ inch rolls.
- Place on a greased baking sheet or 9 x 13 pan.
- Cover rolls with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 minutes to 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Bake rolls for 18- 22 minutes.
- Mix up cream cheese icing by mixing cream cheese and butter with powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Spread over warm rolls and serve immediately.
How to Store and Reheat Cinnamon Rolls:
Store cinnamon rolls covered with plastic wrap on the counter for up to 2 days. Rolls can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. Reheat loosely covered with foil in a 325° oven for 8 - 10 minutes.
Tips for Making the Best Cinnamon Rolls:
- Make sure that your yeast is fresh and not expired.
- Add flour to create the dough a bit at a time. Add 2 cups of flour to start mixing the dough and then add ½ cup at a time. Adding too much flour will make your rolls tough and heavy.
- Don't over bake the rolls. Oven baking times and temperatures can vary. Check your rolls starting about 5 minutes early, so they are not over browned and hard.
- Milk and eggs will make a softer, richer dough for your cinnamon rolls.
- You may substitute water for the milk and you can still have delicious rolls.
- Vegetable oil may be substituted for the butter in the dough but not in the filling. Butter will give the dough more flavor.
- The icing can be made without the cream cheese if you prefer a lighter icing.
How to Make Ahead:
You can make the cinnamon rolls to the point of the second rise, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator and allow to rise for about an hour in a warm place. Bake as directed.
If you need a quick and easy sweet roll, these shortcut Air Fryer Apple Cinnamon Rolls are ready in 20 minutes!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are really quite simple to make and are always a special treat. During the holidays, I often bake a batch of these cinnamon rolls for all of our family and our neighbors.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
for the dough:
- 1 ⅓ cups milk, lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 package Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 2 eggs
- 4 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
for the filling:
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
for the icing:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pour milk, sugar, yeast, 2 tablespoons butter and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Stir with wooden spoon or dough whisk. Set aside 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Mix well.
- Add more flour ½ cup at a time until dough forms a ball and pulls away from sides of the bowl.
- Pour dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 3- 5 minutes, incorporating more flour if needed. Dough should no longer be sticky.
- Grease a large bowl and add dough, turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
- Punch dough down onto a floured surface and roll out into about 12" x 18" rectangle.
- Spread with ¼ cup of softened butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over dough.
- Next, sprinkle cinnamon over brown sugar.
- Tightly roll up dough from the long side.
- Cut dough into 1 ½ inch slices with a serrated knife.
- Place on a greased baking sheet or 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Loosely cover and allow to rise for 30- 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until rolls are cooked through and lightly browned.
- Combine cream cheese, 3 tablespoons butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. You can use an electric mixer or mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Allow cinnamon rolls to cool about 5 minutes before icing.
- Serve immediately.
Store rolls wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerated for 4 days.
To Make Rolls in advance:
After shaping rolls, place on baking sheet and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night. Remove from refrigerator and place in a warm place to rise one hour. Bake according to directions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 8g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.