Easy Caramelized Onion Dip is a tasty appetizer to serve with chips, crackers or crisp vegetables. Great for cookouts, tailgating or get togethers with friends and family.
Chips and dip is one of our go-to snacks and a must-have for every family gathering. Spinach Dip is always on the list and we also love this Hawaiian Onion Dip that is loaded with delicious flavors. Salmon Cream Cheese Dip is another favorite that is always a bit hit.
Easy Caramelized Onion Dip ~ Best Chip Dip
Onion dip is a classic to serve with chips and this homemade version is incredibly delicious but so simple to make with just a few ingredients. A satisfying appetizer that is sure to be a crowd favorite.
- Onions ~ Sweet onions or yellow onions
- Fresh Garlic
- Sour Cream
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
How to Make Caramelized Onion Dip:
- Peel onions and slice into quarters and thinly slice.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until onions are well caramelized.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl add sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Fold in caramelized onions.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Cover and refrigerate one hour before serving.
- Serve with chips, crackers or crisp vegetables like celery, sliced peppers or carrots.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Store and Make Ahead:
Onion dip can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept refrigerated in an airtight container. I love these deli containers for dips and leftovers.
It's really easy to pick up the store bought onion dip when you are craving it, but we love this homemade version even more. Slow cooking the onions adds so much flavor to the dip and is well worth the effort.
More Dip Recipes to Try:
- Million Dollar Dip is a delicious cream cheese based dip with loads of cheese and crispy bacon.
- Velveeta Cheese Dip is the classic Rotel dip that everyone loves and is a great addition to taco night.
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip will knock your socks off! A delicious spin on the popular smoked cream cheese trend, this is one of our all-time favorites.
- Pico de Gallo goes perfectly with any Mexican dinner and is so good with garden fresh tomatoes.
- Homemade Salsa reminds me of the delicious restaurant salsa that is so irresistible. A classic for entertaining.
Easy Appetizers are our favorite to serve for a quick family get together and it seems like the chips and dip are always the first to disappear. Add this Easy Caramelized Onion Dip to your list for entertaining or just kicking back with the family on movie night.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 3 onions (sweet or yellow onions)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley for garnish
- chips, crackers or vegetables for serving
- Peel and cut onions into quarters, slice thin,
- Mince garlic.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add onions and garlic and cook over low heat.
- Stir occasionally, keeping a close eye on the onions and garlic so that they do not burn.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until onions are well caramelized.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Fold in onions.
- Top with parsley if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
- Serve with chips, crackers or vegetables.
Onion dip can be made up to 3 days in advance. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 279mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.