As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Caramel Popcorn is an irresistible treat that is so simple to make with just a few ingredients that I always have on hand. It’s perfectly sweet and crunchy with the best caramel flavor. A great anytime snack or homemade gift for the holidays.
This homemade oven baked caramel popcorn comes from my Grandma’s recipe box. She’s been making it as long as I can remember and it’s a family favorite. It’s so easy to make and I know y’all are going to love it too!
Caramel Popcorn makes a really special treat to make and share. It’s so simple to package up as a thank you gift or just to let someone know you are thinking about them.
This recipe is very similar to making peanut brittle and is just as simple. Both of these easy recipes are great to add to any holiday celebration or gift basket.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
Popcorn is a favorite snack at our house and sometimes counts as dinner if we’ve had a late lunch. I always have popcorn on hand and I love to pop it on the stove. You can use an air popper if you have one or make it in the microwave too.
How to Make Caramel Popcorn:
- Start by popping your popcorn. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of your pan. Add one kernel and cover. When the oil is hot, the kernel will pop, add the remainder of the popcorn, in a single layer. Cover and shake the pan continually until all kernels are popped.
- Remove from heat, remove lid and set aside.
- Make in two batches if you have a small pan.
What you need for the homemade caramel sauce:
- Brown Sugar
- Corn Syrup
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
Make the caramel:
- Add butter, brown sugar and light corn syrup to a heavy sauce pan.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to combine until butter is melted.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook at a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Set a timer to keep track.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, vanilla and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour caramel over popcorn.
- Stir to coat.
- Pour popcorn onto 2 baking sheets.
- Bake both sheets at once for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and turn popcorn over every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in air tight containers.
Caramel Popcorn is the ultimate snack. Great for birthday parties and celebrations or for family movie night. It’s so darn easy that you don’t even need an excuse to make it.
- Pour popped popcorn onto a baking rack to cool and it will allow the unpopped kernels to fall through, making it easy to sort them out.
- Gather all of your ingredients and measure out your caramel ingredients before you start. The sauce comes together quickly.
- After removing it from the oven, sprinkle each pan with 1/4 teaspoon of coarse salt for Salted Caramel Popcorn.
- Stir in roasted peanuts, almonds, pecans or walnuts when you mix the popcorn and caramel.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the vanilla.
- Drizzle baked caramel popcorn with melted chocolate.
- To make caramel popcorn balls, quickly form into balls by rolling in your hands as soon as it comes out of the oven.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add oil to a large pan and add one or two kernels of popcorn. Cover and place over medium-high heat. When kernels have popped add the remaining kernels.
- Cover with the lid. Shake the pan occasionally and continue to cook until popping slows to 2 seconds between pops.
- Remove from heat and pour over cooling racks to remove unpopped kernels. Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Make the caramel sauce by adding butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan and place over medium high heat.
- Stir until butter is melted and bring to a boil. Cook at a rolling boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Set off of heat and stir in baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Pour over popcorn and stir until well combined.
- Spread onto 2 rimmed baking sheets in an even layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning popcorn and stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow caramel corn to cool completely and store in airtight containers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 447mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 0gSugar: 49gProtein: 0g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.