Warm Apple and Cranberry Almond Crumble from Le French Oven cookbook is an incredibly delicious dessert that would be perfect for family get togethers and any holiday meal!
So I'm still on the holiday dessert train, but I'm guess y'all don't mind! This delectable dessert comes from the Le French Oven by Hillary Davis and I'm partnering up with a few of my beloved Virtual Potluck partners to celebrate this beautiful cookbook!
I can't stand to post about a celebration of French cooking featuring my favorite French cookware without mentioning the devastating terrorist attacks in France and other parts of the world this past week.
I hope you will join me in praying for our world, it seems to get a little more worrisome everyday. A couple of my blogger friends were visiting France when it happened and the blog world was very relieved to find out that they were safe and have arrived home now.
Now onto this incredible cookbook and the giveaway that I'm super excited to tell you about!
Virtual Potluck has 5 copies of Le French Oven to giveaway along with a beautiful3.5 Quart Le Creuset Oval Dutch Oven! (UPDATED: GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED)
Le Creuset was kind enough to send me this gorgeous Square Casserole, which was the perfect dish for this Warm Apple and Cranberry Almond Crumble, especially since my Dutch oven is still packed away some where.
Some of the recipes from Le French Oven that I have bookmarked are Mushroom and Fresh Herbes de Provence Risotto, Quick Roasted Steak Poivre, and the Chicken in Riesling with Grapes and Mushrooms. There are so many delicious recipes with gorgeous photos. If you love cooking in a French oven, this is a must-have for your cookbook collection.
The addition of the cranberries are a suggested addition for the holidays and I loved the tart burst of flavor that they added to this sweet crumble. With or without the cranberries this dessert is one of the best apple desserts I've ever made. The almond crumble uses almond paste and the flavor it adds is amazing. If your local market doesn't carry almond paste, I found it on Amazon.
I love apple desserts for any time of year and my Easy Apple Cobbler is also a must-try. You just can't go wrong with a warm apple dessert topped with vanilla ice cream!
For Almond Crumble Topping
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (7- ounce) box almond paste, coarsely grated or broken into crumbs
- 2 sticks butter, chilled
For the Filling
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 12 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ⅛- inch pieces
- 1-2 cups fresh cranberries *optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter the bottom of the French oven.
- Fill a large bowl with water. Pour half of the lemon juice into the water and place the apples into the bowl to keep them from browning.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and almond paste. Slice in the butter and, using the pastry cutter or using your fingers, work the flour mixture until it looks like crumbs.
- Ina small bowl, combine the remaining lemon juice and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Remove the apples from the bowl of water and pat very dry. Wipe out the bowl they were in, toss the apples back in the bowl, pour in the lemon juice and vanilla mixture and toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle the flour and sugar mixture over the apples, toss to coat, then pour the apples into the French oven. Sprinkle the topping all over the top of the apples then slice small pieces of the butter over the top.
- Place the French oven on the baking sheet and bake 1 hour, until it is bubbling and golden brown.
Follow Miss in the Kitchen on social media and never miss a recipe!
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of the cookbook and the Le Creuset Square Casserole for review purposes. The giveaways are sponsored by Le Creuset and Gibbs Smith Publishing. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links, which means if you order through the links, I could receive a small amount at no extra charge to you.