As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumpkin Roll is a classic fall dessert that is easier to make than you might think. A simple pumpkin spice cake rolled up jelly-roll style and filled with cream cheese icing. A must-have dessert for Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin Roll has always been one of my favorite desserts but I was so intimidated about the thought of baking one. The idea of rolling a cake seemed outside of my skill level. It’s actually quite simple and I am sharing the step by step photos to show you how.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Roll:
- Pumpkin Puree
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Ginger
- Non Stick Cooking Spray
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Pumpkin Roll:
- Add eggs, vanilla and sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add pumpkin.
- Mix well.
- Turn the mixer off and add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Mix well.
- Line a jelly roll pan (10 x 15 inches) with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Pour cake over parchment and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle a clean tea towel with powdered sugar.
- Carefully remove cake from pan by placing a wire rack over the top, invert the pan – using oven mitts. Remove the pan and then flip the cake from the wire rack onto the powdered sugar lined towel.
- Remove the parchment paper.
- Starting with the short end, roll the cake up in the towel, like a jelly roll.
- Place the towel covered roll on a wire rack to cool, about an hour.
- Prepare the cream cheese icing by adding softened cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Carefully unroll the cake.
- Spread cream cheese icing evenly over cake.
- Roll cake up once more (without the towel).
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Remove plastic wrap, slice and serve.
How to Store & Freeze:
Store pumpkin roll wrapped in plastic wrap in refrigerator for up to 4 days. It will stay fresher if you slice as needed rather than slicing the entire roll at once.
To freeze pumpkin roll, wrap in 2 layers of plastic wrap and one layer of foil. Freeze up to 6 weeks. Thaw in refrigerator before slicing and serving.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What is a Jelly Roll Pan?
A jelly roll pan is 10″ X 15″ X 1″, slightly smaller than a standard half sheet pan or rimmed cookie sheet. It’s the perfect size for making sheet cakes and cake rolls. Here is the jelly roll pan I have, purchased from Amazon.
What Kind of Towel to Use?
I use a tea towel or flour sack towel. Don’t use a terry- type towel, or the fibers will stick to the cake.
Do You Have to Use Parchment Paper?
I highly recommend using parchment paper, find it at the store near the foil and plastic wrap or order from Amazon. It will help you get the cake out of the pan without sticking or cracking.
How to Keep the Cake From Cracking:
Rolling the cake while it’s still hot from the oven is the best way to keep the cake from cracking. Be sure to use oven mitts and invert onto a wire rack and then onto the powdered sugar lined towel.
Fall is my favorite time to bake and a classic pumpkin roll is a great dessert to bake and share. Once you try it, you will see just how simple it is to make one of the best pumpkin desserts you’ve ever tasted.
Add a pumpkin cake roll to your Thanksgiving dinner menu this year and make an extra to share with your friends and family!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a mixer bowl, add eggs, vanilla and sugar. Mix well.
- Turn the mixer off and add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix well.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of powdered sugar over a clean tea towel and invert cake onto tea towel.
- Remove parchment paper and starting with the short end, roll the cake up in the towel, tightly.
- Place towel wrapped cake on a wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Make the icing by adding softened cream, butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 cup of powdered sugar to a mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- When cake is cooled unroll the towel and spread cream cheese icing over cake in an even layer. Roll cake (not the towel) back up.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before slicing.
Store pumpkin roll wrapped in plastic wrap in refrigerator up to 4 days.
To freeze, wrap in 2 layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Freeze up to 6 weeks, thaw in refrigerator before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 6g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.