Marble Sheet Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting is a super simple dessert for any occasion. Easy enough for any day of the week and delicious enough for holidays and potlucks.
Texas Sheet Cake will always be one of my favorite desserts for summer cookouts and family get togethers. This marble cake is just as delicious and the rich chocolate icing makes it totally irresistible.
Marble Sheet Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
Sheet cakes are my favorite because they are so easy to make and don't require special skills for decorating. They are always a hit and perfect to feed a crowd. I am taking a shortcut with using a yellow cake mix to make this recipe a bit easier.
For the Cake:
- Yellow Cake Mix ~ White cake mix works too.
- Large Eggs ~ Room temperature
- Butter ~ Softened or vegetable oil
- Milk ~ Whole milk works best
- Semi- Sweet Chocolate Chips ~ Milk chocolate will work too
- Sour Cream
For the Frosting:
- Semi- Sweet Chocolate Chips ~ or milk chocolate
- Butter ~ Room temperature
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Marble Sheet Cake:
- Butter a jelly roll pan using the butter wrapper or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add cake mix, eggs, softened butter and milk to a mixer bowl. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, raise to medium speed and beat 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat another 30 seconds.
- Reserve 1 ½ cups cake batter. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Melt chocolate chips with sour cream over low heat just until chips are melted and smooth, or in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Combine the melted chocolate with reserved cake batter with a whisk until smooth.
- Dollop chocolate batter into the pan.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the chocolate batter into the yellow cake batter.
- Bake for about 18- 20 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Frosting:
- Melt chocolate chips with butter over low heat in a small pan or in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract to a mixer bowl, add the melted chocolate and powdered sugar.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar is incorporated and then on medium-high for 1-2 minutes to whip the frosting.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Frosting: The chocolate sour cream frosting pairs perfectly with this marble cake. It's thick and rich with just a hint of tangy flavor from the sour cream. It spreads easily over the cake and can be used for cupcakes too.
- Garnish: Sliced strawberries compliment the chocolate icing. Chocolate curls or chocolate jimmies are great options too if you want to add garnish.
- Storage: Store cake at room temperature covered with plastic wrap up to 4 days. Store in refrigerator up to 6 days.
- Freeze: Cake without frosting can be wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil and frozen up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Jelly Roll Pan: This is the 10 x 15 inch pan that I use, it's a bit smaller than a half-cookie sheet and perfect for sheet cakes.
- Occasions: Cookouts and potlucks, holiday dinners like Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
More Sheet Cake Recipes You'll Love:
- Buttermilk Sheet Cake
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Blackberry Sheet Cake
- Pineapple Sheet Cake
If you are looking for an easy dessert recipe, this Marble Sheet Cake is just the ticket. It's buttery and delicious with just the right amount chocolate and a delicious fudge frosting that is so simple to make.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON FACEBOOK!
For the Cake:
- 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
For the Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixer bowl, add the cake mix with eggs, ½ cup softened butter and milk.
- Mix at low speed until combined, raise to medium speed, 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and mix another minute.
- Reserve 1 ½ cups cake batter. Pour the remaining batter into a buttered 15 x 10 x 1 jelly roll pan and spread evenly.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of sour cream over low heat in a pan or microwave in a safe bowl in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into reserved cake batter. Mix to combine.
- Dollop chocolate batter over yellow cake batter. Swirl with a butter knife to create marbling.
- Bake for 17- 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake on a wire rack.
- Prepare the icing by melting remaining 1 cup chocolate chips with ¼ cup butter in a small pan over low heat or in a microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In a mixer bowl, add ½ cup sour cream, vanilla extract, melted chocolate and powdered sugar.
- Mix at low speed just until combined, raise to medium-high speed and whip the frosting 2 minutes.
- Spread frosting over completely cooled cake.
- Slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 2gSugar: 55gProtein: 5g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.