As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Blackberry Sheet Cake recipe is an easy dessert to make for any day of the week and delicious enough for special occasions. A tender and moist vanilla sheet cake topped with fresh blackberry cream cheese icing.
I am a huge fan of blackberry desserts and try to pick as many wild blackberries as I can while they are ripe. We have made a couple trips out in the scorching heat to pick wild blackberries but they are not as prolific this year as they have been.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Vanilla Sheet Cake:
- Cream butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add in eggs and vanilla and combine.
- Slowly mix in buttermilk until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased jelly roll pan (15 x 10 inches).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
Making Blackberry Cream Cheese Icing:
- In a mixer bowl, beat softened cream cheese and butter together with vanilla extract.
- Mix in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add fresh blackberries and mix until blackberries are broken up and well combined.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with additional blackberries and fresh mint if desired.
Can You Use Frozen Berries?
I don’t recommend frozen berries for this recipe, they are going to have too much liquid and your icing will not set up. I don’t recommend substituting any other berries like strawberries or blueberries. Blackberries are your best bet or skip the berries and just go with straight cream cheese icing but you are missing out!
How to Store Blackberry Sheet Cake:
Keep cake covered with plastic wrap or foil in the refrigerator up to 3 days, although I would be surprised if it lasts that long!
Allow cake to sit at room temperature about 5- 10 minutes before serving for the best texture.
Start with room temperature butter and eggs.
Oven temperatures will vary, so check your cake at about 15 minutes for doneness. You don’t want to over bake it and being a thin sheet cake, it will bake quickly.
You can cool the cake faster by popping it in the freezer or refrigerator for about 15 minutes!
For the icing, use room temperature cream cheese and butter. The icing will set up once you chill the cake.
If you don’t like the seeds of the blackberries, you can puree the blackberries with a small food processor and strain the seeds before mixing into the cream cheese mixture.
I love baking sheet cakes because they are quick and easy. They are easy to frost and decorate which is a huge plus for me. I am not a fancy cake decorator and layer cakes plus frosting usually gives me fits.
This vanilla cake has a really tender crumb and the blackberry cream cheese icing is the best flavor combination. It is perfect for special celebrations, birthdays, holidays and any get together you are having.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
For the Cake:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Blackberry Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Heaping 1/2 cup blackberries plus more for garnish
- fresh mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract mixing well.
- Slowly add in buttermilk with the mixer on low speed just until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, mix thoroughly.
- Spray a jelly roll pan (15" x 10" x 1") with non stick cooking spray.
- Spread cake batter into pan in an even layer.
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing by combining cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter and 2 teaspoons of vanilla in a mixer bowl until smooth.
- Mix in powdered sugar until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Add blackberries to icing mixture and mix until blackberries are broken up and well incorporated.
- Spread over cooled cake and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
Keep cake covered and refrigerated up to 3 days.
If you don't want the blackberry seeds in the icing, puree them in a food processor and strain the seeds before adding into the cream cheese mixture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 1gSugar: 63gProtein: 6g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.