As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Green Bean Casserole is a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner or any holiday meal. Made simply with fresh ingredients, a homemade cream sauce and topped with the classic French fried onions.
Easy Green Bean Casserole
Every holiday dinner has to have the classic Green Bean Casserole and with this simple recipe, you can make it from scratch in no time at all.
Green Bean Casserole is best served along side your an Easy Smoked Turkey, Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Chicken and Dressing, Sweet Potato Casserole and homemade Angel Rolls. The perfect Thanksgiving dinner!
Just take me to the Recipe! You will find the easy to print recipe card at the very bottom of this post, just scroll on down. If you have never made green bean casserole from scratch, read on for the step by step photos and tips.
How to Make Easy Green Bean Casserole:
- Wash and trim one pound of fresh green beans. If the beans are large, you can cut them in half or leave them whole.
- Bring about 4-5 cups of water to a boil in a large pan. Add green beans and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. You can also steam the green beans if desired. Drain from water and place in an 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Meanwhile, cook diced mushrooms, onions and fresh garlic in butter until vegetables are softened and onions start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Pour onion and mushroom mixture over cooked green beans.
- To make the cream sauce, add butter and flour to saucepan or skillet and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, whisking continually. Add 1 cup of cream and 3/4 cup of broth (chicken or vegetable broth).
- Whisk in salt and pepper and cook until sauce is thickened and smooth, about 4- 5 minutes.
- Pour over green bean mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with French Fried Onions. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5-7 minutes until onions are browned and crispy.
Green Bean Casserole Variations:
To make cheesy green bean casserole, add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese into the sauce mixture.
For feeding a large crowd, double the recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes total or until heated through.
The classic green bean casserole is traditionally made with cream of mushroom soup. That’s the way I grew up eating it but I’ve grown to love the homemade cream sauce and fresh vegetables even more. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this comfort food casserole.
More Holiday Side Dishes to Try:
Cranberry Salad is a gorgeous addition to any holiday meal. Filled with bright cranberries, pomegranates, apples, oranges and pineapple plus crunchy walnuts. This is one of those side dishes that totally steals the show.
Almond Green Beans are a classic side for any meal. Super easy to prepare and so tasty.
Potato Gratin is a fabulous cheesy potato casserole that is loaded with flavor. A great side for any turkey or ham dinner.
The Best Macaroni Salad is always on the menu for holiday meals at our house. Crunchy vegetables, and a sweet and creamy sauce sets this side dish apart from your ordinary pasta salad.
Be sure to add this Easy Green Bean Casserole to your next holiday meal. It’s a crowd favorite and a really simple recipe to prepare.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided use
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 large onion, about 1 cup diced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring 4-5 cups of water to a boil in a large pan. Add green beans and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to a skillet and place over medium- high heat. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic and cook until onions start to brown.
- Pour vegetables over green beans.
- Add remaining butter into a saucepan or skillet and add in flour. Whisk to combine and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in cream, broth, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, whisking continually until thickened and smooth.
- Pour over green bean mixture and stir to combine.
- Top with French fried onions and cover with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake 5-7 minutes or until onions are browned and crispy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 575mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.