Chicken and Rice Casserole is a comfort food classic from my childhood and a dish that always satisfies. Join me for a trip down memory lane for this month’s Progressive Eats Party!
I love how food can take you right down memory lane. One plateful of this delicious comfort food and I’m right back at my grandma’s kitchen bar, turning the barstool back and forth and enjoying a plateful of her delicious chicken and rice casserole.
I’ve spoke of the family restaurant many times, it was such a big part of my childhood. We served fried catfish and fried chicken. My grandma would often bring home any leftover chicken and turn it into chicken salad or a delicious chicken and rice casserole. It’s still one of my favorite casseroles.
My version is made without can soup but is still every bit the creamy and delicious casserole that you love. I added water chestnuts for a little crunch, celery is good too (if you have it on hand). The Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese added just the right amount of cheesy goodness.
I’m already craving this Chicken and Rice Casserole again and I’m sure my family won’t mind a bit if we have it again soon.
Memory Lane Comfort Food
- Cheesy Spinach Dip from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Welsh Rarebit Crostini from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Stuffed Cabbage from Mother Would Know
- Chole Aloo (Chickpeas & Potatoes) from Spice Roots
- Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten Free) from The Heritage Cook
- Texas Tater Tot Casserole from Stetted
- Chings, Junior Style (Copycat Recipe) from Pastry Chef Online
- Chicken Cordon Bleu All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Chicken Nilaga-Boiled Chicken Stew from Asian in America
- German Chocolate Cake with Rum Glaze and Buttercream from Creative Culinary
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Never Enough Thyme
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 2 cups shredded Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz water chestnuts, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijonaise (or 1 tablespoon dijon mustard + 1 tablespoon mayonnaise)
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh parsley for garnish - optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add rice, chicken and cheese and water chestnuts to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In a medium- sized bowl, combine chicken broth, heavy cream, dijonaise, Mrs. Dash and salt together. Pour over chicken and rice mixture and stir until well combined. Pour into a casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
SIGN UP TO HAVE AN EMAIL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX FOR EACH NEW RECIPE!
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. This month’s theme is Memory Lane and is hosted by Lana Stuart who blogs at Never Enough Thyme. For our Memory Lane dinner, we all created recipes based on comfort foods which evoke feelings of nostalgia and warmth.
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
We have a core group of 12 bloggers, but we will always need substitutes and if there is enough interest would consider additional groups. To see our upcoming themes and how you can participate, please check out the schedule at Creative Culinary or contact Barb for more information.