Chicken and Rice Casserole is a comfort food classic filled with delicious flavors and it’s a really simple meal to make for busy weeknights.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
I love how food can take you right down memory lane. One plateful of this delicious comfort food and I’m right back at my grandma’s kitchen bar, turning the barstool back and forth and enjoying a plateful of her delicious chicken and rice casserole. We also love this Spanish Chicken and Rice for a quick and easy dinner.
I’ve spoke of the family restaurant many times, it was such a big part of my childhood. We served fried catfish and fried chicken.
My version is made without can soup but is still every bit the creamy and delicious casserole that you love. I added water chestnuts for a little crunch, celery is good too (if you have it on hand). The Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese added just the right amount of cheesy goodness.
If you don’t have chicken broth on hand, this homemade chicken bullion powder is a great substitute to mix with water.
I’m already craving this Chicken and Rice Casserole again and I’m sure my family won’t mind a bit if we have it again soon.
Add this hearty chicken and rice casserole to your dinner menu tonight for a family favorite meal.
What to Serve with Chicken and Rice:
If you love this recipes as much as we do, please leave a comment and a five star review. Be sure to help us share Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 2 cups shredded Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz water chestnuts, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijonaise (or 1 tablespoon dijon mustard + 1 tablespoon mayonnaise)
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh parsley for garnish - optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add rice, chicken and cheese and water chestnuts to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In a medium- sized bowl, combine chicken broth, heavy cream, dijonaise, Mrs. Dash and salt together. Pour over chicken and rice mixture and stir until well combined. Pour into a casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.