As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A classic cheesecake that is easier to make than you might think! A decadent and delicious dessert for celebrations and holidays. Serve it plain or topped with berries, it is sure to earn a top spot on your favorites list.
Classic cheesecake is my most favorite dessert and this recipe is the best one that I’ve ever made. The recipe comes from Ina Garten, so you know it’s going to be fabulous!
I like simple dessert recipes and this simple recipe doesn’t require a water bath. I think you will love how easy it comes together. The hardest part is waiting on it to chill!
How to Make Cheesecake:
- Mix graham cracker crumbs and butter together and press into a springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350° and set aside to cool.
- Add cream cheese and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed.
- Next, add in eggs 2 at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon zest and beat at medium speed.
Pour cheesecake batter over crust.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 225° and bake another 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven, leaving cheesecake in the oven with the door open wide for 30 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Run a hot knife around the springform pan to loosen. Remove outer ring, leaving cheesecake on the bottom of the springform pan for serving.
- Serve it plain or topped with raspberry jam and your favorite berries if desired.
- Refrigerate leftover cheesecake tightly wrapped with plastic wrap.
How Long Will Cheesecake Keep?
Wrap cheesecake tightly with plastic wrap and it will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator. You can freeze it by wrapping in plastic wrap and a layer of foil for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Cheesecake makes a wonderful celebration dessert for birthdays or holiday parties. It’s a great make ahead dessert that can be made a few days in advance.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tips for Making Cheesecake:
- You need a mixer to make cheesecake and a stand mixer works best.
- A springform pan works best, a nine inch pan is the standard size for most cheesecakes.
- Bake on a lower oven rack to keep the top from over browning.
- Allow your cheesecake to chill completely before slicing and serving.
- If your cheesecake cracks, it is not ruined. Just top it with some of your favorite jam such as raspberry or strawberry. Fresh whipped cream and berries are also great additions to any cheesecake.
More Cheesecake Recipes to Try:
Chocolate Cheesecake with Caramel Ganache is extremely decadent and delicious.
Mini Cherry Cheesecakes are always a hit for parties and they are beyond simple to make.
Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes are made with vanilla cheesecake and loaded with mini chocolate chips for a simple and delicious mini dessert.
My sister in law has been making this cheesecake for my birthday for a few years and I finally got around to baking one myself. It has the most incredible light texture and the taste is beyond delicious.
Add this cheesecake to your baking list to serve for your next special get together or birthday celebration.
- 9 graham crackers, crushed into crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 whole large eggs at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- fresh berries for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together in a small bowl. Press into bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Raise oven temperature to 450*.
- Add cream cheese to a mixing bowl with sugar on medium- high for 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- On medium speed add eggs, 2 at a time beating until incorporated.
- Add sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Continue mixing until well combined.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake on a lower oven rack for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 225° and continue baking 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Turn oven off, leaving cake in oven. Open oven door wide for 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap cake tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Run a hot knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan, leaving cheesecake on springform pan bottom for serving.
- Stir jam until smooth and spoon over cheesecake. Top with berries if desired.
Store cheesecake wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 674Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 253mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 12g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.