As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Blackberry Pie Sweet Rolls are filled with sweet and delicious blackberry filling made from scratch. Make these soft yeast rolls for breakfast or dessert. They are topped with a decadent cream cheese icing that makes them totally irresistible.
Blackberry Pie Sweet Rolls
Summer is here and that means wild blackberry season in Oklahoma. I’ve been out a couple of times gathering blackberries and there’s plenty more to pick.
An Easy Blackberry Crisp kicked things off and then I woke up Saturday morning thinking about these amazing blackberry sweet rolls and I just had to make them.
If you are a blackberry fan, you simply have to give these a try! You might also like these Walnut Cinnamon Twists for a weekend breakfast treat.
Don’t worry if you are not experienced with yeast dough, these step by step instructions are easy to follow.
How to Make Blackberry Pie Sweet Rolls:
- Heat milk and butter to about 90-95°. Butter does not need to be completely melted, I do this in the microwave.
- Add yeast and sugar to milk and butter mixture and stir to combine. Set aside about 5-10 minutes or until yeast starts to bubble.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and yeast mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add 2 cups of flour along with kosher salt, stirring well.
- Add flour 1/4 cup at a time until mixture starts to form a ball and come away from the bowl, about 1 cup.
- Lightly sprinkle flour over a clean surface and add dough.
- Knead dough for 3-5 minutes or until dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover dough and allow to rise at least one hour or doubled in size.
- Prepare the blackberry filling by adding fresh or frozen blackberries to a saucepan with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Bring filling mixture to a boil and then lower to medium heat until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- Punch down dough and roll into a rectangle, about 12 inches x 12 inches. This does not have to be exact. My dough is never quite a rectangle, just try to make the thickness even.
- Spread blackberry filling over dough and roll up, pinching the seam together to seal.
- Slice into 12 slices using a serrated knife. Carefully place on a greased jelly roll pan or pie plate about 2 inches apart. This is a messy process. I stopped to wash my hands in between each slice.
- Cover and allow rolls to rise while you preheat the oven to 375°.
- Bake rolls for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown and centers of rolls are baked through.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting by adding cream cheese, powdered sugar, cream and vanilla to a mixer, beating until light and fluffy.
- Allow rolls to cool at least 10 minutes or completely before icing.
Blackberry Sweet Rolls would be a great addition to any summer barbecue, 4th of July picnic or weekend brunch. Easy to make ahead. These rolls are best served within 2 days and can be refrigerated to last longer. Just bring to room temperature before serving or pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.
I have an ongoing relationship with Red Star Yeast but this post is not sponsored. Red Star Yeast is my go-to yeast for baking and has been for years. Check out Red Star Yeast for helpful tips and recipes using yeast.
How to Store Fresh Blackberries:
Add fresh blackberries to a bowl and cover with cold water. Add 1- 2 tablespoons white vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes. Rinse berries in a colander and drain well. Pour berries onto a paper towel lined baking sheet and allow to dry completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The vinegar will kill any mold or bugs in your blackberries. It seems like the vinegar will leave a taste on the berries, but I promise it does not. It does keep your berries fresh longer! This works for wild berries or berries from the grocery store. I use this method with strawberries and blueberries as well.
More Blackberry Recipes to Try:
No Bake Blackberry Cheesecake is an easy dessert that takes about 5 minutes to prepare. My family can’t get enough of it.
Blackberries and Cream Ice Cream is one of my all time favorite homemade ice cream recipes. Perfect for hot summer days.
Blackberry Milkshakes are a fun treat for parties or as a simple summer treat for any day of the week.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
For Sweet Rolls
For Blackberry Pie Filling
For Cream Cheese Icing
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 246mg Carbohydrates: 64g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 28g Protein: 7g