As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smoked Turkey and Dumplings is the perfect comfort food recipe. Made with delicious smoked turkey or chicken and creamy vegetable soup base with and easy homemade dumplings. A tried and true recipe that you will make again and again.
Smoked Turkey and Dumplings
Smoked turkey is a great addition to any holiday dinner and perfect for feeding a hungry crowd. If you end up having some leftovers, homemade dumplings are a must try!
My kids love my mom’s homemade chicken and dumplings so we were pretty sure that adding some our leftover Cajun Smoked Turkey would be delicious. I made a few changes to my mom’s amazing recipe and really these dumplings were the best ever.
Just take me to the Smoked Chicken and Dumplings Recipe!
Scroll all the way down to the bottom for the printable recipe card. Otherwise, keep reading for the step by step photos, tips and tricks to making the best homemade dumplings.
How to Make Smoked Turkey and Dumplings:
- Chop smoked turkey or chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Dice celery, onion and carrots and cook in olive oil in a skillet until onions just start to caramelize.
- Add broth to a large dutch oven or soup pot and place on medium heat.
- For the dumplings, add all purpose flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and stir together.
- Add an egg, melted butter and chicken broth, stirring until dough comes together.
- Pour onto a floured surface and roll to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use a small round cookie cutter or a large pastry tip (use the large end) to cut dumpling dough into circles.
- Raise pan of broth temperature to high. Add dumplings to boiling broth, stirring to separate. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in chopped smoked turkey, cooked vegetables, cream, milk and black pepper. Stir to mix well and lower to medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover dumplings, allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir well and serve immediately.
To make this recipe even more flavorful, you can use your smoked turkey or chicken carcass to make an amazing turkey stock for your dumplings.
How to Make Smoked Turkey Broth (or Smoked Chicken Broth)
- Remove skin and meat from smoked turkey.
- Place turkey bones into a large stock pot and cover with water, about 12 cups.
- Add a whole onion, cut in half, 2 celery sticks, 1 carrot, 2 garlic cloves, about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper corns.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to simmer, cook 1 hour. Remove from heat to cool slightly. Strain broth into an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
This method for making broth works with an oven baked turkey or chicken also.
If you don’t have time to make homemade broth, store bought will still be delicious. I’ve made it both ways.
Making dumplings from scratch is really quite simple but it does take a good chunk of time. I generally only make them on the weekends. If by chance there’s any leftover, it’s one of those dishes that just gets better the next day.
I have to give credit for this recipe idea to my youngest son. After we made this Easy Smoked Turkey for Thanksgiving, he’s been talking about it ever since. One of his best ideas, ever!
More Recipes for Leftover Turkey:
Turkey Salad is a great way to use up the dark meat from your leftover turkey.
Smoked Turkey Sandwich with Cajun Mayo is always a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup is fabulous with smoked turkey or chicken and a huge favorite of my kids.
Crock Pot Black Eyed Peas are amazing comfort food. Don’t wait for the traditional New Year’s dinner to enjoy these! They are out of this world delicious.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 943 Total Fat: 41g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 371mg Sodium: 2868mg Carbohydrates: 56g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 84g