Orange Glazed Almond Bread is a delicious morning treat perfect for baking and sharing. Perfect paired with your morning coffee or juice.
Orange Glazed Almond Bread
Many years ago I had a neighbor that always gave us loaves of poppy seed bread for Christmas. It was different than any I had tried before and I couldn't get enough of it. I never wanted to share.
She was generous enough to give me the recipe and I figured out that it was almond extract that set her poppy seed bread apart from the others. I would've never guessed, I actually thought I didn't like almond extract.
This recipe makes two loaves so it is perfect to bake and share for the holidays. The sticky orange glaze takes it over the top for a tasty little treat for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
See how the bread cracks open on the top, that lets the glaze soak down into the bread, it's so good!
The glaze is simply orange juice, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. This is such a great flavor combination and I'm thinking I need to try this same glaze on a pound cake.
The winter storm that has hit the entire country had us all huddled around the wood stove this weekend while watching Christmas movies. We watched The Santa Clause and Elf. Elf is one of my favorites. It's so funny and I always wish I could sing like Zooey Deschanel.
The house smelled all kinds of amazing while this bread was baking, we could hardly wait to try it.
After I glazed the bread, I let it cool slightly and then sliced it up. It was a hit with the whole family and I am thinking I might make it into mini loaves for my Christmas baskets. I hope you will give this a try and share it with those you love this holiday season!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups Silk Vanilla Protein Nut Milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
For orange glaze
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8 ½ x 4 ½ loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine Silk Vanilla Protein Nut Milk, eggs, oil, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour half of batter into each prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze.
- Add sugar, orange juice, vanilla and almond extracts to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring often. When sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove bread from pans and set on a wire rack placed in a baking sheet. Pour glaze over warm bread and allow to cool completely.
- Cover in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.