As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy Swiss & BBQ Chicken Penne Pasta is our new favorite family dinner! Creamy pasta with barbecue chicken and a buttery cracker topping. A simple and tasty meal, perfect for any night of the week.
Creamy Swiss & BBQ Chicken Penne Pasta
Last Friday we took a little trip down to Texas and I got my first taste of Rudy’s Barbecue. It was fabulous, the brisket…I could go on for days about that brisket.
It must have given me the barbecue bug. Because I have made food slathered in barbecue every day since.
I was aiming for something quick and easy so I pulled out a box of penne pasta and started some water. I found some Swiss cheese and a few chicken breasts and of course I always have barbecue sauce. Sometimes my favorite dinners just evolve as I’m cooking with no plan at all.
How to Make Chicken Penne Pasta:
- Cook penne pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile toss cut up chicken with flour and salt and cook in olive oil until browned. Add barbecue sauce, stirring to coat chicken. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add butter and flour to skillet whisking for a few minutes, add milk, cream cheese and Swiss cheese and whisk until combined.
- Stir in pasta and chicken, mixing thoroughly. Pour into an oven safe dish and top with crushed crackers and parsley. Bake for 20 minutes.
More Easy Pasta Recipes to Try:
Baked Ham Penne Pasta is perfect for leftover ham and has an amazing cheese and garlic sauce. Bacon White Cheddar Pasta is one of my favorites, it’s like the best mac and cheese with tons of bacon! One Pot Sausage Penne Pasta will be your go to dinner for busy weeknights, it is so flavorful and super easy!
I took inspiration from my very favorite Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese from Recipe Girl. I used cream cheese in the sauce, added in the barbecue chicken and topped it off with a few Ritz Crackers and baked it all together for a few minutes.
This was a true hit with the whole family, even my pickiest eater who typically hates pasta loved it. It probably goes without saying, but you gotta try this!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
For the chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
For the Pasta and Sauce
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked and drained according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add olive oil to a skillet and place over medium-high heat. Toss cut up chicken breasts with flour and salt. Add to oil and cook, stirring occasionally until browned on all sides, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce to skillet and cook about 2 minutes stirring to coat well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add butter to a saucepan and place over medium heat. Add flour and salt and whisk to combine. Cook for 2 minutes and add milk, whisking constantly until mixture comes together.
- Cut cream cheese into quarters and add to milk mixture, add Swiss cheese and continue to whisk until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in cooked pasta and barbecue chicken. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into an oven safe dish and top with Ritz crackers and parsley.
- Bake for for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 743Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 178mgSodium: 1086mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 57g