Citrus Butter Cookies are a simple twist on my Grandma’s classic sugar cookies. These cookies are buttery, melt in your mouth deliciousness with a hint of vanilla and citrus. Perfect for baking and sharing for the holidays!
Once again I’m joining up for the ultimate in holiday fun: The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. Put together by the every thoughtful and talented Julie of The Little Kitchen and Lindsay of Love and Olive Oil.
My Grandma’s Sugar Cookies have always been my favorite. I had lunch with her just before Thanksgiving and I was pretty thrilled when she handed me a plastic bowl filled with them. I enjoyed every last crumb- still my favorite.
I had been trying to decide what cookie to share for the 5th Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap and I was inspired to try a new twist to her classic sugar cookies with a bit of citrus flavor. I added in Fiori di Sicilia Extract (affiliate link) from King Arthur Flour. It’s a blend of citrus and vanilla and adds amazing flavor to these cookies and other baked goods.
This year we are again excited to be partnering with COOKIES FOR KIDS’ CANCER, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease. By participating in this cookie swap you are not only contributing to the food blogger community, but also supporting a great cause.
I would also like to give a shout out to the sponsoring brands who make matching donations!
I sent cookies to a the lovely and talented Melissa of Bless This Mess, who I absolutely adore and had the pleasure of meeting last year. I’m thinking I need to make her South of the Border Cheesy Bacon Quiche for lunch today!
I hope that you are inspired by the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap to bake some cookies this year and if you would like to join in for next year sign up for the newsletter here!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar + ¼ cup for smashing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fiori di sicilia extract (citrus and vanilla extract)
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, oil and sugars together with an electric mixer, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and extracts and mix until well combined. Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Scoop dough into 1½ inch balls and place on a greased or lined baking sheet about an inch apart. Dip a fork or glass into reserved ¼ cup of sugar and smash cookie balls into a circle.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!