Ciabatta Breakfast Pizza is the perfect weekend breakfast that the whole family will enjoy! Chewy ciabatta buns are topped with creamy gravy, fluffy scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese and green onions for a flavorful and filling start to the day.
Ciabatta Breakfast Pizza
Breakfast pizzas have always been a family favorite but I think I've only made them a handful of times. I used to buy the frozen varieties to keep on hand, especially during calving season. Nothing tastes better than a hot breakfast after staying up all night watching heifers.
A few weeks ago we needed a quick dinner and that usually means breakfast for dinner. I made breakfast pizza with a partial loaf of French bread and it was a big hit.
It had been ages since I had even thought about breakfast pizza and then I couldn't stop craving it. So I made individual pizzas with Ciabatta buns, scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage over the weekend when all of the boys were around.
Emmet joined the 4-H Livestock Club and was hoping to show chickens this spring. I was so looking forward to having farm fresh eggs, but we decided to postpone the chickens until we can get a proper place for them.
We are just a few days from moving into the new log cabin and then we can move onto outside projects like a garden and a chicken house. Yay!
When Blue Sky Family Farms asked if I would like to try their Free Ranch and Pasture Raised Eggs, of course I jumped at the chance. We eat eggs every single day and nothing beats a farm fresh egg.
The Blue Sky Family Farms brand, proudly presented by Egg Innovations, produces “Ethical Eggs for the Humane Race” and can be found in more than 750 stores. Egg Innovations is a 100 percent Free Range and Pasture Raised egg company that believes in moving animal welfare forward and bringing family farming back.
Now that is something I can get excited about, it is a fact that the average age of farmers and ranchers is much older than it used to be.
It's a hard way of life and sometimes it feels like it's getting harder because we are being regulated out of business. I was happy to hear that Egg Innovations provides some of the industries leading contract lengths and best financial returns for our partner farmers.
Ciabatta Breakfast Pizza is the perfect meal for anytime of day. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
for the gravy
- 2 tablespoons of bacon or sausage drippings
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
for the pizza
- 2 Ciabatta buns, sliced in half
- ¼ pound of breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 4 Blue Sky Farms Free Range Eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the gravy: place a skillet over medium- high heat and add the sausage drippings. Add all purpose flour and ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, stirring occasionally until browned. Add milk and continue to whisk until smooth and mixture starts to thicken and bubble. Lower heat and cook 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Place Ciabatta buns on a baking sheet. Spoon gravy liberally over each bun. Top with crumbled sausage and set aside.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add butter. Crack eggs into a bowl, adding salt and scramble with a fork. Pour into melted butter and cook, turning the eggs over to cook evenly. Just before eggs are done, remove from heat and spoon over sausage.
- Top with shredded cheese and green onions.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until buns are crisp and cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.