Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious dessert or breakfast cake to make for holidays and special occasions. A yeasted coffee cake filled with cinnamon and apples with a powdered sugar icing to top it off.
This recipe is a lot like a cinnamon roll baked into a cake. It has a light and fluffy texture and the cinnamon, sugar and apple filling makes it something extra special. Perfect to serve at a holiday brunch or for Christmas morning. I'll take any excuse to have cake for breakfast!
Ingredients for Apple Coffee Cake:
- Warm Water
- Active Dry Yeast ( I like Red Star Yeast Platinum)
- All Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake:
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix to combine and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar together.
- Mix in egg.
- Add yeast mixture and mix until combined.
- Add ¼ cup of flour and kosher salt, mix well.
- Fold in another 2 ½ cups of flour with a wooden spoon.
- Using a dough hook attachment for an electric mixer, knead dough and medium speed for 6 minutes, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time if dough does not pull away from the bowl and form a ball.
- Alternately, knead by hand on a well floured surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise about an hour.
- Peel, core and chop apples and add to a bowl.
- Top with cinnamon and brown sugar, stir to combine.
- Flour a board and roll dough out into about a 12 X 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread with softened butter.
- Sprinkle apple mixture evenly over dough.
- Roll dough up starting with the long side.
- Gently squeeze the roll to form an even size log and form into a circle, pressing ends together.
- Grease a bundt pan with butter or non stick cooking spray.
- Carefully place circle of dough into bundt pan, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake cake for about 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Carefully loosen from pan with a sharp knife and turn out onto a serving platter.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk together with a whisk.
- Drizzle over warm cake.
- Slice and serve immediately or at room temperature.
How to Store:
Store covered tightly in plastic wrap up to 2 days at room temperature. Will keep in the refrigerator tightly covered for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- ½ cup warm water (about 100°)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup softened butter, plus 2 tablespoons for filling
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 apples (I used Gala)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- non stick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine warm water with yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Stir to combine and set aside about 5 minutes.
- In a mixer bowl, beat ½ cup butter with ½ cup sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in egg.
- Add yeast mixture and mix well.
- Next, add ¼ cup of flour and salt, mix well.
- Fold in 2 ½ cups of flour with a wooden spoon.
- Use a dough hook on the electric mixer to knead for 6 minutes at medium speed. Mix in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time if dough does not come away from sides of the bowl to form a ball. Alternately, knead by hand on a floured surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise 1 hour.
- Peel, core and dice apples and mix together with ½ cup brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Flour a surface and punch dough down. Roll into about a 12 x 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of butter over dough.
- Sprinkle apple mixture over dough.
- Roll up from the long side.
- Gently squeeze roll to form a uniform log. Form into a circle and press ends together.
- Butter or spray a bundt pan really well.
- Place dough into pan. Cover with plastic wrap and rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Loosen edges with a sharp knife and turn out onto a serving platter.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over warm cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store cake covered in plastic wrap at room temperature up to 2 days or refrigerated up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.