Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious dessert or breakfast cake to make for holidays and special occasions. A yeasted coffee cake filled with cinnamon and apples with a powdered sugar icing to top it off.
This recipe is a lot like a cinnamon roll baked into a cake. It has a light and fluffy texture and the cinnamon, sugar and apple filling makes it something extra special. Perfect to serve at a holiday brunch or for Christmas morning. I'll take any excuse to have cake for breakfast!
Ingredients for Apple Coffee Cake:
- Warm Water
- Active Dry Yeast ( I like Red Star Yeast Platinum)
- All Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake:
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix to combine and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar together.
- Mix in egg.
- Add yeast mixture and mix until combined.
- Add ¼ cup of flour and kosher salt, mix well.
- Fold in another 2 ½ cups of flour with a wooden spoon.
- Using a dough hook attachment for an electric mixer, knead dough and medium speed for 6 minutes, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time if dough does not pull away from the bowl and form a ball.
- Alternately, knead by hand on a well floured surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise about an hour.
- Peel, core and chop apples and add to a bowl.
- Top with cinnamon and brown sugar, stir to combine.
- Flour a board and roll dough out into about a 12 X 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread with softened butter.
- Sprinkle apple mixture evenly over dough.
- Roll dough up starting with the long side.
- Gently squeeze the roll to form an even size log and form into a circle, pressing ends together.
- Grease a bundt pan with butter or non stick cooking spray.
- Carefully place circle of dough into bundt pan, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake cake for about 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Carefully loosen from pan with a sharp knife and turn out onto a serving platter.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk together with a whisk.
- Drizzle over warm cake.
- Slice and serve immediately or at room temperature.
How to Store:
Store covered tightly in plastic wrap up to 2 days at room temperature. Will keep in the refrigerator tightly covered for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
I have lots of Easy Apple Recipes that are perfect for everyday and delicious enough for the holidays. You can't go wrong with an apple treat!
This apple coffee cake is not overly sweet and the apple cinnamon filling makes it just perfect with a cup of coffee or tall glass of milk. My family loved this and I will be making it often for slow Sunday mornings and every holiday brunch.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- ½ cup warm water (about 100°)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup softened butter, plus 2 tablespoons for filling
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 apples (I used Gala)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- non stick cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine warm water with yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Stir to combine and set aside about 5 minutes.
- In a mixer bowl, beat ½ cup butter with ½ cup sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in egg.
- Add yeast mixture and mix well.
- Next, add ¼ cup of flour and salt, mix well.
- Fold in 2 ½ cups of flour with a wooden spoon.
- Use a dough hook on the electric mixer to knead for 6 minutes at medium speed. Mix in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time if dough does not come away from sides of the bowl to form a ball. Alternately, knead by hand on a floured surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise 1 hour.
- Peel, core and dice apples and mix together with ½ cup brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Flour a surface and punch dough down. Roll into about a 12 x 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of butter over dough.
- Sprinkle apple mixture over dough.
- Roll up from the long side.
- Gently squeeze roll to form a uniform log. Form into a circle and press ends together.
- Butter or spray a bundt pan really well.
- Place dough into pan. Cover with plastic wrap and rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Loosen edges with a sharp knife and turn out onto a serving platter.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over warm cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store cake covered in plastic wrap at room temperature up to 2 days or refrigerated up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.