Turtle Bars are a decadent treat with a shortbread crust, delicious caramel and pecans and perfect for your sweet tooth cravings!
As is usually the case, I was craving something sweet, rich, decadent and of course chocolate. I had a can of dulce de leche- no surprise there! So I started thinking about cookies with caramel. The brown sugar shortbread was sure good with dulce de leche but I need some chocolate, and well here you go, turtle bars.
I will be keeping this one in the front of the recipe box and making them often. I loved them and really they couldn’t be simpler. The are perfect for special occasions, parties or just for everyday cravings. Make them, eat them, and be happy!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 13.4 oz can dulce de leche caramel (or caramel ice cream topping)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a mixer bowl add butter and beat until creamy. Add brown sugar and beat until combined, add flour and continue to mix until all combined.
- Press mixture evenly into a 11 x 15 inch baking dish (a 9 x 13 will also work, the bars will be a little thicker, add 3-5 minutes to baking time). Use a fork and prick crust all over. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Heat dulce de leche in a microwave safe bowl for about a minute. Spread over crust.
- Sprinkle pecans over caramel.
- In a small microwave bowl combine chocolate chips and cream. Heat in 20 second intervals, stirring in between until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle over caramel and pecans.
- Allow bars to come to room temperature, then refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove bars and allow to rest five minutes before slicing and serving. May be served chilled or at room temperature. Store, covered in refrigerator.