Easy Potato Salad is the classic side dish for cookouts, holidays and family dinners. Tender red potatoes mixed with hard boiled eggs, pickle relish and a flavorful dressing for the best make ahead side dish!
Easy Potato Salad
Potato salad is a great make ahead side dish for busy weeknights. It goes with just about every meal like Fried Chicken Strips, BBQ Burgers and Smoked Baby Back Ribs. Make a batch over the weekend and enjoy it for several meals throughout the week.
How to Make Easy Potato Salad:
- Scrub small red potatoes and place in a dutch oven or large pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime boil the eggs. Peel and chop eggs.
- Cut cooled potatoes into bite sized chunks and place into a large bowl.
- Add chopped eggs and green onions.
- Mix dressing together by combining in mayonnaise, sour cream, yellow mustard and honey in a small bowl.
- Stir in pickle relish, garlic, dill, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
How long will potato salad keep?
Keep potato salad in an airtight container for 3-5 days in refrigerator. If potato salad has been at room temperature for more than 2 hours, you will need to discard it.
Tips for the Best Potato Salad:
- The best potatoes for potato salad are small red potatoes or Yukon gold. Fingerlings are also a great option and russets will also work.
- If you have smaller potatoes, cook them whole. Start by adding your potatoes to the pan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and then lower heat and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Don’t overcook the potatoes or they will be mushy.
- Drain immediately. Cool potatoes before dressing unless you are using a vinaigrette dressing.
- Chill potato salad well before serving.
Add this easy potato salad to your dinner plans this week. It’s creamy and delicious and full of flavor, a great compliment to just about any meal.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced green and white parts
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Wash potatoes and place in a large pan, covering with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium high and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain potatoes and set aside to cool.
Cut potatoes into bite sized chunks and place in a large bowl with chopped eggs and green onions.
Mix dressing together in a small bowl by whisking mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, pickle relish and honey together until smooth. Add in garlic, dill, salt and pepper, mixing well.
Pour dressing over potato mixture and stir well.
Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 596mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.