Easy Cheese Tortellini with Meat Sauce
My middle son has basketball practice at varying times in the evenings and so I usually need something quick to feed him the moment he walks in or something that will taste just as good if it has to wait awhile. I picked up some tortellini from the store and made a quick meat sauce, added a salad and some French bread and it couldn't have been easier!
Of course if you are in a bigger hurry skip the tomatoes and just use your favorite marinara sauce from a jar, it's all good. It is filling, it is tasty and my boys loved it.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅔ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 19 oz package frozen cheese tortellini
- ¼ cup fresh basil cut into ribbons
- Add ground beef to pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often to break it into crumbles and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan into a bowl, drain excess grease if needed and set aside.
- Add diced tomatoes, sugar, shallot and butter to pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Return browned ground beef to the pan with the tomatoes, stir in Parmesan, half and half and tortellini. Raise to medium heat and cover with lid. Cook for 5 minutes, stir well, lower heat to medium-low and cover. Cook an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until tortellini are heated through.
- Stir in fresh basil and serve immediately.
Disclosure: I was provided with the Anolon Covered Casserole for review. All opinions are my own.