As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
At Christmas time my mom sent us a box of chocolate covered graham crackers. I barely shared them, they were so good. I’ve heard it mentioned that they have them at Starbucks, but I’ve only been there once. I got to thinking about how good would they be with a little Dulce de Leche (dulce de leche is caramelized sweetened condensed milk usually found near the Mexican ingredients at your grocery store) spread in between and then I saw this recipe from Amanda’s Cookin’ and I knew I had to try it with the caramel. My kids loved them so much they thought that I should try to package them and sell them like candy bars! On the first day the graham crackers were crunchy, after that the graham crackers had softened but they still tasted amazing. The nice thing about these little treats is that you can make as many or as few as you would like. I made a few to try them out and then I went back and finished up the graham cracker box! The kids were eating them as fast as I could make them. I sent a couple to school with my son for his snack and he said the teacher asked if next time he could bring her some too, funny I thought. I’m telling you these babies are good, you’ve got to try them!
Recipe: Easy Caramel Cookie Bars
Yield: 20 Cookies
- 10 whole graham crackers
- 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche (approximate)
- 6 oz chocolate almond bark, or chocolate coating
- Break graham crackers in half and then in half again, making four pieces.
- Spread one piece with about a teaspoon of Dulce de Leche caramel and top with another graham cracker, pressing gently together. Repeat with remaining graham crackers and Dulce de Leche.
- In a medium size, deep microwave safe bowl melt chocolate coating. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip each graham cracker sandwich in chocolate using a large fork. Gently shake or tap off excess chocolate and place on wax paper or a silpat to cool. Re-heat chocolate coating as necessary. Chocolate coating will set up in about 15 minutes or less. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, if they last that long!