Creamy Ham & Wild Rice Soup is filling and delicious comfort food perfect for busy weeknights and the best for using up leftover holiday ham!
Creamy Ham and Wild Rice Soup
I first made this soup back in 2011. My sister-in-law ran our small town grocery store and served up a similar soup for lunch for cold Wyoming days.
It was so good and I couldn't stop thinking about it until I made it at home. The entire family loved it and it was gone in a flash. I made it again last week and realized it's perfect for the leftover holiday ham that will be gracing everyone's refrigerators in a few weeks.
Petit Jean Meats is based close to where I grew up in Arkansas and they make the best ham, bacon and sausage that I have ever had. You can order it and have it before the holidays. Their gift boxes are also on top of my gift giving list every year.
I took a few photos so I could update the original post and also offer a generous holiday giveaway from my friends at Petit Jean Meats.
Enter to Win a Petit Jean Meats Signature Gift Box ~
- ½ Spiral Smoked Ham
- 24 oz Smoked Bacon
- 24 oz Peppered Bacon
Open to US residents, 18 years and older. Entries accepted through November 13, 2016.
- Sign up for the Petit Jean Meats Email Newsletter. Please leave a comment letting me know you did. By signing up you are agreeing to accept occasional emails from Petit Jean Meats about products and specials. You may opt out at any time.
- Let me know if you are a facebook fan of Miss in the Kitchen and Petit Jean Meats.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen and Petit Jean Meats on Instagram.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen and Petit Jean Meats on Twitter.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen and Petit Jean Meats on Pinterest.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups cooked ham, chopped into bite size chunks
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, celery and carrot. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often until vegetables have softened. Add chicken broth. Stir cornstarch into half and half and whisk into chicken broth. Add ham and wild rice. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until soup is thickened and hot.
Originally posted March, 2012
Disclosure: I am an ambassador for Petit Jean Meats and received product for recipe development and Petit Jean Meats is sponsoring the giveaway. All thoughts and opinions are my own.