As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate Chip Sweet Rolls with Peanut Butter Icing are so decadent and delicious and just perfect for a weekend at home! Serve these up with a steaming cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk.
CHOCOLATE CHIP SWEET ROLLS WITH PEANUT BUTTER ICING
As much as I hate to admit it, I am tired. I love my job, or I should say jobs but all of them together are maxing out my brain. So I’ve been updating some older recipes to share with you again.
Lately, I’ve been making the Peach Pie Cinnamon Rolls and these Coconut Cream Pie Sweet Rolls and I can’t decide which are my favorite. More taste testing may be necessary! We are also pretty fond of these Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls with Chocolate Drizzle.
Last week seemed over the top stressful and a little time in the kitchen is just what I needed this weekend. I spent a long time trying to think up a new recipe to share with you this week.
I wasn’t getting anywhere but I found myself with a major craving for these Chocolate Chip Sweet Rolls with Peanut Butter Icing.
I tweaked the original recipe and added a few new photos. They are very sweet and very rich but so enjoyable on Sunday morning. A must- try if you love chocolate and peanut butter as much as I do!
I based the original recipe from the 40 Minute Hamburger Buns recipe from Taste of Home Best Country Breads. It’s still one of my favorite bread cookbooks.
Tips for How to Make Chocolate Chip Sweet Rolls with Peanut Butter Icing
- I originally made these sweet rolls in a 9 x 13 pan but I actually prefer 2 pie plates. I think they cook a bit more evenly, but either way works just fine.
- Make sure your yeast is within the use by date and not expired. Expired yeast has been the culprit of failed breads in my kitchen more than once!
- Use a good quality flour like King Arthur All Purpose or Bread Flour.
- If the dough is hard to shape, allow it a few minutes to rest and relax.
I topped them off with an incredible peanut butter icing that is so creamy and delicious thanks to the addition of cream cheese. I could be happy just eating it with a spoon.
I used my favorite Red Star Yeast Platinum for this recipe. I have been using Red Star Yeast for as long as I remember and it’s one of my favorite brands to work with every year.
I first made these back in 2010 and they were just as good as I remembered. Sweet rolls are always a hit for the weekend.
If you are looking for even more sweet roll recipes, try these Cream Cheese Filled Brioche Sweet Rolls that have a maple and brown butter glaze! For a quick and easy sweet roll give these Peanut Butter S’mores Sweet Rolls a try!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 1/4 ounce packages Red Star Yeast Platinum
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
For the Peanut Butter Icing
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar, let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg and mix to combine. Add 1 cup of flour and salt. Add remaining flour 1 cup at at time to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 3-5 minutes. Let dough rest for about 10 minutes, this will let it relax and it will be easier to roll out.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a rectangle about 1/4″ thick. Spread butter evenly over dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar and chocolate chips. Starting on the long edge, roll up dough, pinching edges to seal. Use a sharp knife, I like to use my bread knife, and slice into 2-inch rolls. Place into 2 greased pie plates. Cover with a flour sack towel and let rise thirty minutes to one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- While the rolls rise, mix cream cheese, peanut butter, milk and powdered sugar together until smooth, set aside.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until rolls are lightly browned. Remove from oven and dollop icing over each roll. As the icing starts to melt, smooth around to completely cover tops of rolls. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you place an order through these links I will receive a small amount at no cost to you. I have an ongoing relationship with Red Star Yeast but this is not a sponsored post.