Chicken Fried Bacon has to go on your list to try soon. An over the top amazing appetizer or breakfast and it makes the most amazing BLT you’ve ever had!
I did it, I went there. I battered and deep fried bacon and you should too! It is so dang delicious.
I have had Chicken Fried Bacon on my list to try for quite sometime. I saw a Facebook friend had tried it as an appetizer at a restaurant and knew I would love it.
One of my favorite things about this recipe blog is being an ambassador for Petit Jean Meats. I grew up loving all of their products and their bacon is hands down, the best ever.
I used the Petit Jean Meats Pepper Bacon for this, it’s thick cut and holds up well to the batter. I love their bacon so much that I wrote a post on How To Cook Bacon in the oven
I used this method and baked it for about 15 minutes, about half way through for thick cut bacon. I drained the bacon on paper towels and let it cool for about 15 minutes.I dredged it in seasoned flour and then dipped it in an egg and milk mixture. I dredged it back through the flour, just like I do Chicken Fried Steak Bites or Chicken Fried Steak Sandwiches.
I deep fried it in an iron skillet and drained it on paper towels. It cooked super fast, about 1 minute per side. I had been putting off making this because I thought it would be a pain, but it really wasn’t.
I made a quick batch of gravy with the bacon drippings and it was phenomenal. Right up there with one of the best things ever. Seriously epic!
The crunchy coating is just like a chicken fried steak. The bacon is perfectly crisp without being crumbly. Dip it in a bit of gravy and oh my, my….
My sister in law came by when I was frying it up and mentioned that it would also make an insanely delicious BLT. For the record, she was right! My husband was in the hay field, so I decided that would be a great lunch for him.
Just when I thought a BLT couldn’t be any better. Oh.My.Word! Now I’m thinking I need to try it on a grilled burger or try this biscuit recipe for an epic breakfast sandwich.
I know this isn’t the most healthy thing to be eating but all things in moderation, right? I won’t be making this on a daily basis, but it is seriously something you have to try.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 12 slices Petit Jean Meats Peppered Bacon
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups vegetable oil
For the Gravy (optional)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake bacon for 15 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool about 10- 15 minutes.
- Place flour and Lawry's seasoning salt in a shallow dish and mix together.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and milk together.
- Dredge bacon in flour and then dip into egg mixture. Dredge back through the flour and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet or heavy bottom pan to 350°.
- Fry bacon a few slices at a time for about 1 minute per side.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- For the gravy: Add bacon grease to a large skillet and place over medium- high heat.
- Add flour and whisk continually until well browned. Add milk, salt and pepper, whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Serve Chicken Fried Bacon with Gravy or on your favorite BLT!
Disclosure: I have an ongoing relationship with Petit Jean Meats. I was provided product for recipe development but I was not compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.