Chicken Fried Bacon has to go on your list to try soon. An over the top amazing appetizer or breakfast and it makes the most amazing BLT you’ve ever had!
I did it, I went there. I battered and deep fried bacon and you should too! It is so dang delicious.
I have had Chicken Fried Bacon on my list to try for quite sometime. I saw a Facebook friend had tried it as an appetizer at a restaurant and knew I would love it.
One of my favorite things about this recipe blog is being an ambassador for Petit Jean Meats. I grew up loving all of their products and their bacon is hands down, the best ever.
I used this method and baked it for about 15 minutes, about half way through for thick cut bacon. I drained the bacon on paper towels and let it cool for about 15 minutes.I dredged it in seasoned flour and then dipped it in an egg and milk mixture. I dredged it back through the flour, just like I do Chicken Fried Steak Bites or Chicken Fried Steak Sandwiches.
I deep fried it in an iron skillet and drained it on paper towels. It cooked super fast, about 1 minute per side. I had been putting off making this because I thought it would be a pain, but it really wasn’t.
I made a quick batch of gravy with the bacon drippings and it was phenomenal. Right up there with one of the best things ever. Seriously epic!
The crunchy coating is just like a chicken fried steak. The bacon is perfectly crisp without being crumbly. Dip it in a bit of gravy and oh my, my….
My sister in law came by when I was frying it up and mentioned that it would also make an insanely delicious BLT. For the record, she was right! My husband was in the hay field, so I decided that would be a great lunch for him.
Just when I thought a BLT couldn’t be any better. Oh.My.Word! Now I’m thinking I need to try it on a grilled burger, what do you think?
I know this isn’t the most healthy thing to be eating but all things in moderation, right? I won’t be making this on a daily basis, but it is seriously something you have to try.
CONNECT WITH PETIT JEAN MEATS by signing up for the Petit Jean Meats Email Newsletter.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 12 slices Petit Jean Meats Peppered Bacon
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add bacon in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until bacon is cooked about half way through.
- Drain on a paper towel lined baking rack for about 15 minutes.
- Add flour and seasoned salt to a shallow dish and mix well.
- Add milk and egg to another shallow dish and mix until well combined.
- Dredge bacon in flour mixture, dip in egg and milk mixture and then dredge in flour mixture again, coating both sides. Shake off excess and place in a single layer on a clean or lined baking sheet.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat to about 325 degrees.
- Fry bacon, about 4 slices at a time, cooking 1 minute on each side or until well browned. Place on a paper towel lined rack to drain.
- Add bacon grease to a large skillet and place over medium- high heat. Add flour and whisk continually until well browned. Add milk, salt and pepper, whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Serve Chicken Fried Bacon with Gravy or on your favorite BLT!
Disclosure: I have an ongoing relationship with Petit Jean Meats. I was provided product for recipe development but I was not compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.