While going through my little recipe box the other day, I saw the recipe for Honey Bun Cake that I had cut off of the back of a Betty Crocker Cake Mix. I hadn’t made one in forever and had a sudden craving for it.
I had a chocolate cake mix in the pantry and decided to change it up a bit and it totally worked. I am a huge fan of cinnamon and chocolate and I knew the combination would be great in this cake.
I also had the hankering to try out the new Mixer Mate Bowl that I received for review. It comes from the same folks that make the Beater Blade.
The Mixer Mate Bowl is designed to use with a hand-held mixer. It has grippers on the bottom so that it doesn’t slide around on the counter plus under the sides for easy gripping with your hands. It is shaped for the hand mixer to be the most efficient and less messy. I can’t tell you how many times I have splattered cake batter all over the place!
This bowl is also great for hand mixing. Just an all around handy bowl to have in your kitchen, if you ask me. It comes in some cool colors too. I love kitchen accessories that also brighten up the kitchen. Plus it’s pretty enough to tote your favorite potato salad recipe in, when you have neighborhood barbecues and the like.
The boys were thrilled when the Chocolate Honey Bun Cake was finally cool enough to cut.
If you look closely you can see a finger smudge, apparently someone had to taste that chocolate glaze while it was still warm. But if I asked, I am sure nobody would know anything!
Now how about winning a Mixer Mate Bowl for your kitchen?
THE GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED. Congratulations to Connie. Thanks to everyone who entered!
- Leave a comment telling me what you would make with the Mixer Mate Bowl.
For Bonus Entries:
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen & Beater Blade on twitter.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen & Beater Blade on Pinterest.
Leave a comment for each. Open to US residents 18 years and older. Entries received through March 25, 2013. Winner will be chosen at random.
- adapted from Betty Crocker
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Remove 1/2 cup dry cake mix and place in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Add remaining cake mix, butter, eggs and sour cream to Mixer Mate Bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides if needed.
- Pour about half of batter into prepared cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Add brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon to reserved cake mix and combined. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Spoon remaining cake batter over pecan mixture and carefully spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake is cooked through and springs back slightly when touched.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Poke top of warm cake with a skewer and pour glaze over the top, spreading evenly.
- Cool completely before serving.
Disclosure: I was provided with a Mixer Mate Bowl for review. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own. Mixer Mate is sponsoring the giveaway.