Chocolate Banana Bread is a tasty snack or quick breakfast treat to make if you have over ripe bananas hanging around.
My kids love classic banana muffins, so sometimes I like to change it up and bake a loaf of Tyler Florence’s Chocolate Banana Bread. This is one of those recipes that I saved out of a magazine years ago and have made again and again.
Chocolate Banana Bread ~ Easy Quick Bread
This chocolate banana bread is a little decadent but not overly sweet. It’s best served alongside your morning coffee or an ice cold glass of milk.
- Over Ripe Bananas
- Vanilla Extract
- Bittersweet Chocolate – I have also used semi sweet chocolate chips in this recipe
- All Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar
How to Bake Chocolate Banana Bread:
- Place bananas, softened butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a mixer bowl and beat for about 2 minutes.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate in a small pan, in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Add to the banana mixture.
- Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the banana mixture.
- Beat until well combined, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Butter or spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Pour batter into pan, smoothing evenly.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the pan to loosen the loaf and remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Place a paper towel under wire rack & sprinkle with powdered sugar. The paper towel will catch the excess and be easy to cleanup.
- Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
How to Store Chocolate Banana Bread:
Wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap and store at room temperature up to 3 days. Can be refrigerated up to 5 days.
Banana bread can be frozen if wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil for up to 3 months.
The next time you have some over ripe bananas, give this delicious Chocolate Banana Bread a try. It’s sure to be a big hit for breakfast or as an afternoon treat.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 1 1/3 cups mashed over ripe bananas - about 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- non stick cooking spray or butter for the pan
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a mixing bowl, add bananas, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until combined.
Melt chocolate (in a pan over low heat or microwave) and mix into batter.
In another bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Add to batter and mix for about 2 minutes, until well combined. Stop half way through and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Spray or butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly.
Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Loosen loaf from pan with a knife and remove to a wire rack to cool.
Dust with powdered sugar.
Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
To store, wrap in plastic wrap. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
To freeze: wrap in 2 layers of plastic wrap plus a layer of foil. Freeze up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 349mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 8g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.