Quick Tomato Soup with Dubliner Grilled Cheese Croutons perfect as a light lunch or busy weeknight meal.
This week has definitely been better than the week before, but I still find myself running in circles trying to catch up. Quick meals have been a must. Even though it's quick, it is also healthy and delicious!
I simply can not wait for summer to arrive. Since we are in Oklahoma, I plan to have a real garden. Hello tomatoes! I plan to roast all of the extra tomatoes and freeze them for my Mom's homemade tomato soup. Since summer is not quite here, I used a couple of cans of diced tomatoes to make this Quick Tomato Soup, it was so easy.
Tomato soup is just not the same without grilled cheese. I love dunking my gooey grilled cheese into my tomato soup, so today I cut the sandwiches up into croutons, and man was it ever delicious! I used the Kerrygold Dubliner Reduced Fat Cheese. Dubliner is our hands down favorite cheese. The Reduced Fat Dubliner is still creamy and delicious and has that famous sharpness that makes Dubliner so tasty.
I shredded the cheese and placed it on multigrain bread spread with just a tad of Kerrygold Butter. Best grilled cheese that I've had in a long time. When it's dunked into the Quick Tomato Soup, it is some mighty fine comfort food!
Now how about the recipe so you can dig in too!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded Kerrygold Dubliner reduced fat cheese
- For the soup:
- Add butter to a saucepan and add diced shallot. Cook 2 minutes and add diced tomatoes. Stir in greek yogurt and salt. Heat for 15 minutes. Blend with a stick blender or traditional blender until desired consistency.
- For the grilled cheese croutons:
- Butter each slice of bread on one side. Add 2 bread slices to a griddle or skillet and place over medium heat. Sprinkle each bread slice with half of cheese. Top with remaining buttered bread. Cook on both sides until browned. Cut into small squares and serve over soup.
Disclosure: I was provided with Kerrygold products for recipe development purposes. I am participating in a Kerrygold blogger contest, and if chosen as the winner, I could win Kerrygold products. Kerrygold is a brand that I have enjoyed for many years and I am happy to spread the word about their great food. All opinions expressed are my own.