Blackberry Cornbread is a delicious treat for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. I sweetened up my favorite skillet cornbread and added wild blackberries.
I wanted something quick for breakfast the other morning and I've seen lots of recipes for blueberry cornbread. I had two quarts of wild blackberries and I just knew blackberry cornbread would be amazing.
My family would eat my Skillet Cornbread every single day of the year. I expected them to turn their noses up at adding berries to their beloved cornbread and they totally did. I wish you could've seen their faces.
The two of them that tried it actually loved it, but they rejected the idea that it was cornbread since it has berries in it. In addition to the berries, I added a little more sugar. I guess it really is more like a breakfast cake than traditional cornbread. Whatever you call it, I say it's delicious.
Warm right out the oven it is so good. You can slather it in butter and drizzle a little honey over the top or just eat it plain. It's so good y'all! I hope you try it!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 heaping cup blackberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a bowl. Whisk together to combine. Add butter, egg and milk and stir until combined. Gently fold in blackberries.
- Pour into a 9 or 10 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.