This Tomato Pesto Tart is an all- time favorite from Southern Living Magazine. Made with garden fresh tomatoes and basil pesto for a delightful appetizer or main dish served up with a garden salad.
You are going to love this recipe, it is one of my all time favorite summer dishes. I love to grow fresh basil and make lots and lots of pesto every summer.
I’m updating this classic recipe with a few new photos. I originally shared this recipe back in August of 2011. It’s still a favorite and I hope you will give this a try!
Summer has been tough on our little garden but it’s hanging in there. My basil has been prolific and my tomatoes are still producing but they look a little sad. The okra loves the hot weather and you can be on the lookout for some okra recipes headed your way.
We’ve had a lot of 100 degrees days and a constant hot dry wind, it’s hard on the plants. I do enjoy having a garden and we picked our first home grown cantaloupe this week. That was a thrill!
We are counting the days until the watermelons are ripe! Emmet is really enjoying seeing the garden go from seeds to actual food on the table. It’s been a great experience for him this summer. If only we enjoyed weeding a little more!
I’ve made a couple of batches of my Roasted Garlic Pesto this summer. I am planning to get some in the freezer so I can make another batch or two of these Cheesy Pesto Breadsticks and Pesto Stuffed Chicken Rolls this winter!
Did you know you can freeze pesto? It super easy. Just spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then place in zip top freezer bags and it can flavor up your favorite soups and pastas all winter long.
- 1 (15 oz) package refrigerator pie crust
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 5 tomatoes (3 if they are large), sliced into ¼- 1/2 inch slices
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pie crusts and stack together on a lightly floured surface, Roll into a 12 inch circle. Place on a baking sheet. Fold over edge of crust and prick bottom with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Cool 15 minutes.
- Lower oven to 375 degrees. I
- n a small bowl combine remaining mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, pesto and pepper.
- Arrange tomatoes over crust. Spread pesto mixture over tomatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
SIGN UP TO HAVE AN EMAIL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX FOR EACH NEW RECIPE!