Honey Chicken is a delicious comfort food meal from Southern Living Country Music’s Greatest Eats.
When Southern Living’s Country Music’s Greatest Eats showed up on my doorstep, I was tearing open the package immediately. Southern food is my thing and I’m a huge country music fan. I knew this was going to be jam packed with delicious, southern family recipes and it is!
It took me forever to narrow it down to a recipe to share with you and this Honey Chicken comes from The Henningsens, best known for their hit “American Beautiful”. The batter-fried chicken with a delicious honey dipping sauce is my kind of comfort food!
Let me tell you there are lots of fabulous country foods in this cookbook that aren’t deep fried. There are fabulous main dish salads, baby back ribs, pasta dishes, vegetarian dishes and desserts of every sort. I am going to have to try Miranda Lambert’s Mama’s Meatloaf. With a combination of pork sausage and ground beef with a sweet ketchup topping, you know it’s gotta be good. I just love Miranda Lambert, so spunky but so down to earth. She was at the walmarts not too far from here helping people adopt dogs a while back.
I also can’t wait to try the Serrano Pepper Burgers from Florida Georgia Line. Like I said, lots of great recipes along with family stories from some of the best in country music.
You will love how simple and delicious this Honey Chicken is to prepare and the honey sauce is my new favorite condiment! I served it up with the addicting Crack Slaw and it was amazing comfort food at it’s best!
- 1½ pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cut chicken into 1½ - x 5-inch strips or into about 48 (1½-inch) cubes.
- Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients. Whisk in ¾ to 1 cup of water or enough water to form a slightly runny batter.
- Pour canola oil to a depth of ½ inch in a large deep skillet; heat to 350 degrees.
- Dip chicken in flour mixture. Fry chicken, in batches, in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve chicken with honey sauce.
Disclosure: I was provided with the cookbook for review and Southern Living is sponsoring the giveaway. I was not compensated for this post and as always all opinions are my own. There are affiliate links in this post, meaning if you make a purchase through the link, I will receive a few cents at no additional charge to you.