Creamy Roasted Red Onions are an amazing side dish for holiday meals and family get togethers. Red Onions are oven roasted and stuffed with a creamy onion filling and topped with a crunchy panko and bacon topping.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Anolon Cookware.
I have a tendency to look at cookbooks, magazines and cooking blogs with the intention of trying every single recipe. Getting that accomplished is a whole other story. A few years ago I participated in the promotion of Emeril’s One Pot Wonders Cooking Party. It required me to make 12 different recipes from the Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders cookbook. I don’t think I had ever tried so many recipes from one cookbook. Every single recipe was fantastic, it changed the way I cook.
Emeril’s recipe was Roasted Red Onions with Mascarpone Thyme Mousse. I am a huge fan of baked or grilled onions so I thought this would be a new and different side dish for the holidays. I also loved that it would also be perfect for backyard barbecues or family dinners.
I changed up Emeril’s recipe by lightening up the creamy filling using a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream mixed with herbs de Provence. I also added a crunchy topping of Panko bread crumbs, bacon and parsley.
The results were gorgeous and the taste was amazing. All in all it was a pretty simple side dish with minimal effort and I absolutely love the presentation.
This is the kind of side that will steal the whole show. If you like onions, this is going to knock your socks off. I used the Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel Covered Braiser to roast these onions. It is the handiest pan, perfect for searing, braising or baking and it is so stylish that it will go straight from the oven to the table for serving.
- Tell me how you would take these Creamy Roasted Red Onions and “Make it Yours”.
- Leave a comment if you are a fan of Miss in the Kitchen, Anolon on Facebook.
- Leave a comment if you are a fan of Miss in the Kitchen, Anolon on Twitter
- Leave a comment if you are a fan of Miss in the Kitchen and Anolon on Pinterest
Open to US residents, 18 years and older. Entries accepted through December 6, 2013.
Also be sure to head on over to Anolon’s Make it Yours Giveaway facebook app where you can enter to win big time!
Check out our new side dish inspirations to fill your holiday table. Use them “as is” or springboard to whole new heights for dishes that are just right for you and your loved ones.
The Grand Prize winner will select an Anolon Gourmet Cookware Set from the collection of their choice. Three bonus prize winners will each receive an Anolon Advanced 5 Quart Covered Saute pan.
Now how about that Creamy Roasted Red Onion recipe. You are going to want to make this!
- 4 medium-sized red onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- ½ teaspoon grated or minced garlic
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the onions. Trim the root ends so they will set upright and cut about ½ inch from the tops. Drizzle olive oil over onions and rub it all over. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Gently remove the centers of the onions leaving a shell (I left 2 to 3 layers).
- Return a slice of the center to each to form a bottom.
- Coarsely chop onion centers.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, salt, herbs de Provence, garlic and chopped onions.
- Spoon filling into shells.
- In a small bowl combine Panko, butter, bacon and parsley.
- Spoon carefully over stuffed onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is heated through and bread crumbs just start to brown.
- Serve immediately.
I have an ongoing relationship with Anolon Cookware that makes wonderful recipes and giveaways on this blog possible. All thoughts and opinions remain my own.