These Sweet Potato Bars with Streusel Topping are the ideal dessert or even a fabulous treat with your morning coffee.
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Bob Evans Farms.
So it’s the last day of the year and I still have a backlog of recipes that I haven’t got around to sharing with you. I decided on these Sweet Potato Bars with Streusel Topping because they are perfect to bake up today and have for your New Year’s Brunch tomorrow.
We are in the finishing stages of the log cabin, YAY! I have been staining and clear coating the logs, the tile flooring is in the kitchen and the painting is almost finished. Follow on instagram and get a preview of how it’s coming along. One of these days I will get caught up and share more photos for Log Cabin Saturday. I haven’t abandoned the idea, I just need about 24 more hours in each day!
So anyway, back to these Sweet Potato Bars. I love sweet potatoes but I had never baked with them before. I used Bob Evans Mashed Sweet Potatoes, which was mighty convenient considering our crazy-busy schedule. It was hard not to just eat them right out of the bowl with a spoon, they are delicious. Look for them in the refrigerated cases at your local market.
My family was a bit skeptical of me baking with sweet potatoes but once they tried a slice, it was all silence until their forks clanked down on the plates. They were pleasantly surprised and ready for a second helping.
The recipe is super easy and the hardest part is waiting for it the Sweet Potato Bars to cool down so you can dig in.
They remind me a bit of pumpkin pie, which we all love. I’m not sure why I get stuck in the rut of only enjoying pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. I meant to make one for Christmas too but it’s one more thing that didn’t happen. So instead, I’m making another round of these Sweet Potato Bars with Streusel Topping.
I hope you all have a safe and wonderful New Year!
- 22 oz Bob Evans Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- for the streusel topping:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup old fashined oats
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add sweet potatoes, eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and brown sugar to a large bowl. Mix together until combined. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir together until smooth and all combined.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish or 9 x 13- inch pan.
- In a small bowl, add all streusel ingredients and mix together until a fine crumble.
- Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake on center oven rack for 1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
SIGN UP TO HAVE AN EMAIL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX FOR EACH NEW RECIPE!
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Bob Evans Farms. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Miss in the Kitchen.