Sausage Mushroom Pesto Pizza is packed with flavor and so easy to make at home! You will be skipping the take out for this homemade version!
We have always lived a good ways from town, so take out pizza is a rare thing. Homemade pizza however is a regular thing around our house. We love it!
Homemade pizza is surprisingly easy, even if you make your own homemade pizza dough and even easier if you pick up a pre-made crust. Sometimes we make individual pizzas and everyone can add their favorite toppings. It’s a great way to get the kids in the kitchen!
Pesto is the perfect sauce for homemade pizza. Of course it is also delicious in our Creamy Pesto Sausage Pasta and Pesto Chicken Rolls are one of my all time favorites.
I cooked Italian sausage and mushrooms for the toppings. You could also use a shredded rotisserie chicken if sausage isn’t your favorite.
I topped it off with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese and it was ready for the oven!
The key to really good homemade pizza is a really hot oven. I baked this on the bottom rack and the crust was crispy and delicious.
I made this over the weekend when the whole family was over and they were standing in line at the bar waiting to try a slice. Everyone agreed that this one is a keeper, we will be adding it to the menu often.
If you are looking for a quick and easy pizza idea, these Air Fryer Mini Pizzas will cook in just 4 minutes! Add your favorite toppings and it’s a surefire hit for dinner.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Roll out pizza dough and press into pizza pan. Top with Pesto and spread evenly. Set aside.
- Add Italian sausage to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks, stirring often until browned and crispy. Pour into a bowl and set aside, discarding any excess grease.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and return to the burner. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often until mushrooms are soft but are not browned. Mix with sausage and spread over pesto.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on the bottom rack for 20-22 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
- Allow pizza to cool 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.