Sausage Mushroom Pesto Pizza is packed with flavor and so easy to make at home! You will be skipping the take out for this homemade version!
This is a sponsored post for HemisFares™ brand that is available exclusively at Kroger family of stores. All opinions are honest and 100% my own.
We have always lived a good ways from town, so take out pizza is a rare thing. Homemade pizza however is a regular thing around our house. We love it!
The HemisFares Pesto alla Genovese Pesto recipe was found in the notebook of a Piedmontese nonna, and is made with local basil, nuts and Grana Padano.
Homemade pizza is surprisingly easy, even if you make your own crust and even easier if you pick up a pre-made crust. Sometimes we make individual pizzas and everyone can add their favorite toppings. It’s a great way to get the kids in the kitchen!
HemisFares Pesto alla Genovese is the perfect sauce for homemade pizza. Of course it is also delicious with pasta and Pesto Chicken Rolls are one of my all time favorites.
I cooked Italian sausage and mushrooms for the toppings. You could also use a shredded rotisserie chicken if sausage isn’t your favorite.
I topped it off with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese and it was ready for the oven!
The key to really good homemade pizza is a really hot oven. I baked this on the bottom rack and the crust was crispy and delicious.
You can look for HemisFares Find No 50 on the pasta isle, near the pasta sauce at your local Kroger stores.
I made this over the weekend when the whole family was over and they were standing in line at the bar waiting to try a slice. Everyone agreed that this one is a keeper, we will be adding it to the menu often.
- pizza dough for 1 crust
- 1 4.58 jar HemisFares Pesto alla Genovese
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil for garnish *optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out pizza dough and press into pizza pan. Top with HemisFares Pesto alla Genovese and spread evenly. Set aside.
- Add Italian sausage to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks, stirring often until browned and crispy. Pour into a bowl and set aside, discarding any excess grease.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and return to the burner. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often until mushrooms are soft but are not browned. Mix with sausage and spread over pesto.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on the bottom rack for 20-22 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
- Allow pizza to cool 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.