Roasted Tomato and Onion Sauce is made by roasting ripe summer tomatoes and onions creating a delicious sauce for pasta, soups and more.
Ball was kind enough to send me a freshTECH HarvestPro Sauce Maker for review and recipe development purposes.
I have enjoyed our garden so much this year. The garden fresh tomatoes right off of the vine are just incredible.
We have been getting six or eight a week and they are really just starting to take off. I picked up a few from the local farmers market to make this Roasted Tomato and Onion Sauce.
- Pledge to can-it-forward by signing up via the pledge page and share with your friends!
- Look for canning demonstrations via Facebook Live from 10:00AM – 3:30PM ET on Friday July 22, 2016. Each hour, viewers will have the chance to win a giveaway prize!
- For each like, comment or share on the recipe videos, a donation will be made to charity!
- Ask Jarden Home Brands canning experts any preserving or home canning questions via Twitter with the hashtag #canitforward from 10AM – 5PM ET on July 22nd.
- Share your own #canitforward creations with Ball and Jarden Home Brands on Pinterest and Instagram.
I remember my mom canning tomato juice when I was a little kid. One morning, she was working so hard in the kitchen. I remember the jars and the tomatoes and bowls of other ingredients.
I proceeded with my ritual of having a bowl of cereal as soon as my feet hit the floor. I spotted the big bowl of sugar and spooned a bunch over my cereal, poured the milk and plopped down at the kitchen table to eat.
I think I literally spit my cereal out and had quite a fit. I had spooned a ton of salt over my cereal and was so mad that mom didn't warn me. She just laughed and shook her head at me.
A few years ago my mom introduced me to roasted tomatoes and I'm hooked on her Roasted Tomato Soup. It is my favorite!
I decided to use that same method for an all- purpose tomato sauce. I roasted garden fresh tomatoes and onions. I used the freshTECH HarvestPro Sauce Maker to create the most incredible sauce and it was so easy!
This week has been a doozy and I didn't have a lot of extra time. So I just made a small batch to test out the freshTECH HarvestPro Sauce Maker.
I was so impressed! It was so easy to use and I was so surprised how fast it worked. The best part was how easy it is to cleanup! Seriously easy.
I will be using it to make homemade salsa, fruit spreads and lots of tomato sauce this summer! I can't wait to show it to my mom, I know she will have some great ideas too. It will also make baby food! How handy is that?
You might also like this simple version of Roasted Tomato Sauce with freezing instructions.
So get on over and celebrate Can- it- Forward Day and check out the Freshly Preserved Ideas!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
FACEBOOK| PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM|TWITTER| BLOGLOVIN
Roasted Tomato and Onion Sauce
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters. Peel and slice onion into thin slices. Arrange in a single layer onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat evenly. Bake 1 hour.
- Set aside and allow to cool on baking sheet.
- Pour into a large bowl, scraping the pan to get all of the liquid.
- Using the coarse screen on the Freshtech Harvest Pro Sauce Maker, add tomato and onion mixture to the hopper. Add more as the tomatoes are processed. Continue until all tomatoes and onions are processed.
- Stir in fresh thyme
- Spoon into prepared jars. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat and serve over pasta or add to your favorite soup.
If using this recipe for canning purposes, omit fresh thyme and follow general preserving methods.
I signed the pledge and watched the first video live, apricot and lavender jam. I would love to try my had at my mom's salsa recipe. I have yet to try it as my brother always eats all of it before I can visit.
Miss what a great way to make salsa,
I rember your tomato tart
Great way to put up all these tomatoes I'm getting right now. And yes I have to make your tomato tart, it's your Dad favorite .
I would love to try this sauce maker on my Roasted eggplant and tomato sauce!
I did take the pledge, and I watched as many of the live presentations as I could on Can It Forward Day (my new favorite holiday!). I love this freshTECH HarvestPro Sauce Maker, and would probably use it mostly for making applesauce, which I can every year in its lovely unsweetened form and cooked down with sugar and spices as apple butter, too. The Sauce Maker would save me a lot of time and energy, and might even get to finally put up some tomato sauce and salsa!
What a great way to try making salsa!
Looking forward to using your recipe with our fresh tomatoes also. Never roasted tomatoes before. Your picture of the tomatoes and onions looks great.
I took the pledge, and I would make tomato sauce, apple sauce, and pumpkin puree
Mary Beth Hunt
This tomato onion looks great! How about sharing the recipe for the SOUP!!!!