Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Bars with Cream Cheese Icing are a delicious treat sure to brighten even the coldest winter days!
Lemon desserts are always on the top of my list of favorites. I had these beautiful Dandy Fresh Meyer Lemons and knew they needed to be enjoyed in dessert form. Meyer Lemons are so good in my favorite sweets, they are a cross between a lemon and an orange. I can’t get enough of them!
Life has been somewhat of a roller coaster of sickness, injuries and general craziness for the last couple of weeks. I would like to bubble wrap my children and demand that they stay in the house, but I know that won’t really work. I think everyone is on the mend, thank goodness.
So this morning I just put everything aside and spent a little time in the kitchen. Time in the kitchen does me a lot of good. It seems to melt the stress right off of me.
These Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Bars were deemed delicious by the family and they will have a front row seat in my recipe box. They were really easy to put together and before I knew it, I had eaten three of them!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Meyer Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1½ teaspoons Meyer lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Meyer Lemon slices and fresh mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 8½ x 11 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add butter and sugar to a mixer bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg and lemon juice and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds and mix on low until incorporated, raise to medium speed and mix until well combined.
- Press into baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add cream cheese and butter to mixer bowl and beat with whisk attachment until smooth. Add lemon juice and mix until combined. Add powdered sugar and beat on low until combined, raise to high and beat until smooth and well combined.
- Spread over cooled bars and cut into squares.
- Garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves.
Disclosure: I received the Dandy Fresh Meyer Lemons for participating in a KITCHEN PLAY twitter event. All opinions are my own.