Herb Roasted Chicken Dinner is a simple and delicious meal just right for family dinners.
So guess what I’m doing today? Did you watch the weather last night? Holy macaroni batman, those tornadoes were a little too close. I’m hunting down a storm shelter. It was supposed to be the first order of business when we moved but actually storm season was pretty much over and hello swimming at the lake….
So today it’s happening, TODAY. When I was a kid in Arkansas, storms were common,but they never scared me. Now they scare the you know what out of me. So let’s talk about comfort food.
What you really came for was a winner, winner chicken dinner, right? I love roasted chicken because it is always comforting and delicious and it barely takes any effort.
My mom puts turmeric in everything and I think she’s on to something. It adds a depth of flavor without overpowering the other herbs and spices and helps to make the most amazing gravy.
I made a batch of my very favorite brown butter mashed potatoes and used the pan juices to make mushroom gravy. I added some nice dinner rolls and it was delicious. Now I’d love to hear about your go to comfort meal!
For the Chicken
- 1 7-8 pound chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
For the Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 oz mushrooms, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon grated onion or shallot
- 3/4 cup pan drippings (reserved from chicken, with fat skimmed)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
For the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Coat the chicken skin with olive oil. Place on a wire rack of a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, marjoram, and tumeric. Sprinkle over chicken. Sprinkle fresh thyme.
- Place in the oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. About 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. Reserve pan drippings for mushroom gravy.
For Mushroom Gravy
- Add butter to a saucepan or medium skillet and place over medium heat. When butter is melted, add mushrooms and shallots and cook, stirring often until mushrooms began to soften.
- Add chicken pan drippings, continue to cook until sauce starts to bubble. Lower to simmer and stir in cream and fresh thyme.
- Remove from heat. Serve with mashed potatoes and herb roasted chicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2155Total Fat: 134gSaturated Fat: 40gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 81gCholesterol: 876mgSodium: 1324mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 219g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.