As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ham with Orca Beans and Rice is a delicious, comforting and healthy meal. This is a sponsored post on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill.
A few weeks back my folks came to visit and it was the ideal time to try out the Heritage Orca Beans that Bob’s Red Mill sent over for our Virtual Potluck group to try. My mom is all about the health food and I knew she would love to try these beans.
I cooked up a pot of Orca Beans and used about half of them for chicken chili that was enjoyed by the whole clan. We were leaving on our trip to Kansas City the next morning, so I froze the other half of the beans. I have good luck cooking big batches of beans and freezing half to use on busy weeknights.
A cold front has moved across most of the country this week and a batch of beans and rice seemed like the perfect meal to warm the guys up after being out in the cold wind all day. I added a bit of ham, peppers, onions and garlic plus a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. Served up with rice and the best cornbread, it was perfect indeed.
Bob’s Red Mill Orca Heritage Beans are grown in the Pacific Northwest. They are a also known as calypso beans. They are a small bean, really tasty and high in fiber, and iron. They are perfect for comfort meals, soups, salads and side dishes. I really loved the personal story of how Bob found the beans on a small farm in Moses Lake, Washington and after trying them, bought the entire crop.
That’s what I really love about Bob’s Red Mill, real food that is good for you and they can tell you exactly where it came from. That is seriously the best.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced sweet pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups cooked Bob's Red Mill Orca Heritage Beans*
- 1 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked rice for serving
- Add olive oil to a large pan or Dutch oven. Add onion, peppers and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add ham, beans and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Add water, salt and cumin, stirring until well combined. Bring mixture to a slow boil.
- Lower heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon mixture over rice and serve.
- *I cooked the beans according to the package directions.
You will want to be sure to check out all of the fabulous Orca Beans recipes from Virtual Potluck and be sure to enter each giveaway for a Bob’s Red Mill $30 Gift Card + a bag of Orca Beans!
Hearty Orca Bean Soup from Food Hunter’s Guide
Spicy White and Black Bean Brownies from Diabetic Foodie
Orca Bean Salad from Cookistry
Tostadas with Smashed Orca Beans from Thyme in Our Kitchen
Whiskey Orca Beans from Bite and Booze