Grilled Double Cheeseburgers are a weeknight favorite that is quick and easy enough to make you skip the drive-thru.
Burgers and French Fries is the kind of meal that our family never, ever gets tired of. These simple grilled burgers are double stacked and piled high with all of the toppings for a hearty meal.
- Ground Beef ~ We prefer 80/20 ground chuck if available.
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- American Cheese ~ Cheddar or Swiss work too.
- Burger Buns
- Minced Onion Flakes
Toppings for Burgers
- Red Onion
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Lettuce – optional
Step By Step Directions
Divide the ground beef into 1/4 pound patties, mashing into thin patties. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare a grill fire to 375° using hickory or pecan for smoke flavor.
Melt butter and brush over both sides of the buns. Sprinkle onion flakes over tops of buns.
Cook burger patties over direct fire. Cook with the grill closed about 3 minutes.
Turn the patties and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes, until burgers reach 165° using a digital meat thermometer.
Top half of burgers with a slice of cheese.
Stack another burger on top. Remove burgers to a platter.
Lightly toast the buns.
Stack double a double cheeseburger patty onto each bun.
Top with favorite condiments and toppings and toasted buns. Serve immediately.
- Storage: Store burgers in a zip top bag or wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Place burger patties in a skillet with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for about 4- minutes until burgers are hot.
- Skillet Method: If you don’t have a grill, cook patties in a cast iron skillet over medium- high heat for 4 minutes per side, cooking until patties reach 165° with a digital thermometer. Toast buns lightly under broiler.
If you are craving restaurant-style double cheeseburgers, add these to the menu for a quick and easy weeknight dinner that will have everyone lining up at the dinner table.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave a comment and a five star review. Help us share on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook!
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/20)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 burger buns
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup
- lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onion
- Divide the ground beef into 1/4 pound patties, mashing into thin patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a grill fire to 375° using hickory or pecan for smoke flavor.
- Melt butter and brush over both sides of the buns. Sprinkle onion flakes over tops of buns.
- Cook burger patties over direct fire. Cook with the grill closed about 3 minutes.
- Turn the patties and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes, until burgers reach 165° using a digital meat thermometer.
- Top half of burgers with a slice of cheese, then stack another burger on top.
- Remove burgers to a platter.
- Lightly toast the buns.
- Build the burgers by adding favorite condiments and toppings with the double cheeseburgers patties.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 964Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 249mgSodium: 1497mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 71g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.