Colorado Chicken Enchiladas with slow simmered chicken made in the slow cooker with homemade red chile sauce!
I have become quite dependent on my slow cooker and I’m totally loving the new Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Slow Cooker. It has handles that snap over the lid to hold it in place if you need to take it somewhere.
I can’t tell you how many times I have dumped chili in the back of my vehicle hauling it somewhere. Holy mess.
This slow cooker also has an attachable meat thermometer, how handy is that!
Along with the slow cookers we also have Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbooks to give away! I am loving this cookbook. Today I’m sharing the Colorado Chicken recipe that I made into some of the best enchiladas ever! I’ve also made the Mahogany Glazed Pork made with soy sauce and orange marmalade which was so delicious. I am eyeing the Orange Hoisin Chicken recipe for this week’s menu. There are 350 recipes and I think they all sound pretty darn good.
Red Chile Sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup pure ground chile powder
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded
- 4 medium sized frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby-Jack)
- sour cream for garnish
- 4 green onions, chopped for garnish
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes; do not let the garlic brown.
- Stir in the flour. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chile powder; chile burns very easily, so keep stirring.
- Stir in the water. Raise the heat to medium-high and let the sauce come to a simmer. Season with salt. The sauce is ready to use as is, but if you want a thicker sauce, let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more. It will keep, refrigerated, for a week or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Slice the onions and peppers. Put the vegetables in the slow cooker tossing to mix well. Arrange the frozen chicken breasts on top of the vegetables and pour over the chile sauce.
- Cover and Cook on LOW until the chicken is tender 5-7 hours.
To assemble the enchiladas:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from sauce and shred or coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Pour enchilada sauce into a large bowl, mix in cream of mushroom soup.
- Heat the tortillas, wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave about 1 minute to make them pliable.
- Dip a tortilla into sauce and lay on a clean plate. Add shredded chicken and a little cheese. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Pour about 1 to 2 cups of remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and add addtional cheese over the enchiladas. Return to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream and green onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 679Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 1018mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. I received a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker for review purposes and a copy of the Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook from The Harvard Common Press for review purposes. All opinions are my own! This post does contain affiliate links.