Coconut Cream Pie Bars would be a great dessert recipe for family dinners, potlucks or any celebration. The shortbread crust and creamy coconut filling is topped with toasted coconut and toasted almonds for a delicious anytime dessert!
Coconut Cream Pie Bars
I love pie! I do not love making pie crust, actually I don't like rolling and shaping pie crust. I have a hard time making it pretty. So I've been making shortbread crusts for pies and it is my favorite thing ever.
I first tried the shortbread crust with my Strawberry Slab Pie and it was definitely the hit of the summer! It is also the perfect combo with this easy coconut cream filling. Of course I need to keep testing this out, you know, so I can make more pies!
The Coconut Cream filling is super easy and doesn't have to be cooked, which also means it chills faster! Which means I get to eat it sooner rather than later.
A few weeks back there was a facebook post circulating about keeping reading alive where you send out a book and then friends of friends send books to you. I sent out a book called The Education of Little Tree that my sister-in-law passed on to me. I really, really loved it and I don't think it's that well known.
One of the books I got in return was My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry. I really enjoyed it. If your grandmother was your super hero growing up, it's a must- read. I don't think I would've picked this book on my own, but it's one of the best books I've read in a while.
The books couldn't have arrived at a better time, my Kindle tumbled to the tile floor a few weeks back and now it is in my rather large stack of dead Kindles. I think you can get them repaired but I haven't took the time to look. Some of them are cracked and others won't charge.
Anyway in the meantime, I'm on the hunt for something good to read and I'd love to hear any suggestions that you have.
If you have a weekend get together or back-to-school potluck coming up, these easy Coconut Cream Pie Bars are perfect!
More Pie Bars to Love:
Key Lime Pie Bars from My Baking Addiction
Peanut Butter Pie Bars from The View from Great Island
Peach Pie Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Banana Cream Pie Bars from Miss in the Kitchen
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
FACEBOOK| PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM|TWITTER| BLOGLOVIN
Coconut Cream Pie Bars
for the shortbread crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup softened butter
for the filling
- 12 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups whipped topping, divided use
- 1 cup sweetened flake coconut
- ½ cup sweetened flake coconut, toasted
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and butter. Mix together until well combined. Press into an 8 x 8 - inch baking pan. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixer bowl, add cream cheese and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add vanilla extract and beat 1 minute on medium-high speed. Add 2 cups of whipped topping and 1 cup coconut and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Spread over cooled crust. Top with remaining whipped topping and spread evenly over filling. Top with toasted coconut and toasted almonds. Refrigerate 3-4 hours or until completely chilled. Slice and serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a small amount at no extra cost to you.
Sounds so good, Ito love pie.
Whipped topping as in cool whip!?
Yes cool whip or tru whip. Sweetened whipped cream works too.
Made this last night and it was a hit. Doesn't really taste like coconut cream pie, but an excellent easy to prepare dessert. I did add 3/4 of a teaspoon of coconut extract and wouldn't have minded a little more.