Savory Citrus Chicken is prepared in the slow cooker for an easy weeknight meal.
As the heat continues I have been turning to my slow cooker more and more to get meals on the table. It has just been too hot to turn on the oven.
I had a package of chicken thighs and decided the slow cooker was the answer. Since the heat index was 119 degrees today, I think it was a good call.
I did have a crazy-bad experience cooking chicken in my slow cooker/deep fryer that I received as a wedding gift many years ago. The fact that it was supposed to cook super low and slow or super hot and fast should have served as a warning.
My husband came home from work before me and the chicken had exploded. It seriously exploded all over the kitchen, from the cabinets to the floor. A total greasy chicken mess.
It was awful! That slow cooker went into the trash and my husband being the sweet guy that he is, had it all cleaned up by the time I got home. Love that man.
These days no exploding chickens in my kitchen, just a great meal that couldn’t have been easier. I had chicken thighs, you could use chicken breasts, what ever floats your boat.
Along with the chicken I added a little beer, some honey dijon mustard a few spices and some orange slices and closed the lid. Four hours later I had a fabulous dinner!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
SIGN UP TO HAVE AN EMAIL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX FOR EACH NEW RECIPE!
HOW TO MAKE SAVORY CITRUS CHICKEN VIDEO:
- 4 -6 chicken thighs or breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 12 oz beer (I used Bud Light)
- 2 tablespoons honey dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole orange, ends trimmed and sliced into 4-6 slices
- Add chicken to slow cooker. Pour beer into slow cooker and whisk in honey dijon mustard. Sprinkle herbs de provence and salt over chicken thighs. Lay a orange slice over each chicken thigh.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or 6 to 8 hours on low.
Post updated with photos and video from 2013.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a small amount at no extra cost to you.