As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Deer hunting is pretty serious business around our house. We have both whitetail and mule deer that roam our river bottoms and pastures. I love to watch them and I always get excited when I see a big buck. Someday, I will get off my lazy rump and get a nice one. The hunting is about more than the horns for us, we also enjoy the meat. We make a lot of jerky, chili, and stews, but this time I have branched and created a great wild game dish that was something special.
I used the venison along with porcini mushrooms and a few other key items from the Spice Store to create a thick and hearty pasta sauce to serve over bucatini. I got an email not too long ago stating that since I live in Wyoming, I should be sharing more game recipes! Even if you are not a fan of wild game, you must try this out! It could easily be made with beef or pork.
The Virtual Potluck has come together to bring you a great variety of recipes today all featuring dishes inspired by the different sections of Savory Spice Shop. Each Virtual Potluck member is also hosting a giveaway featuring different gift sets. Be sure to visit Cookistry, our host blog for links to all of the recipes and giveaways! The variety and quality of these products are amazing! I am loving every item that I received and you will be featuring them in future posts.
The Salt’n of the Sea gift set would be a great addition to any kitchen, available exclusively at Savory Spice Shop and I get to give one away! It includes: Italian Black Truffle Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Frenchy Fleur de Sel, and Fine Alder Wood Smoked Salt.
WE HAVE A WINNER: ATHENA “I would love to try the pomegranate molasses. I bet it would make a tasty addition to homemade bbq sauce.”
THANKS TO SAVORY SPICE SHOP AND TO EVERYONE WHO ENTERED!
- Go to Savory Spice Shop and choose an item from the Sauces and More section that you would like to try and leave a comment here telling me what you would cook with it.
- Follow Savory Spice Shop on facebook.
- Share Savory Spice Shop on your facebook page.
- Follow Savory Spice Shop on Twitter.
- Share the giveaway on Twitter with something like “I want to win a @SavorySpiceShop Gift Set from @Missnthekitchen https://www.missinthekitchen.com/?p=6887 #virtualpotluck“
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen on facebook.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen on twitter.
Please leave a comment for each.
Open to US residents, entries will be accepted through April 20, 2012, winner will be chosen at random.
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 oz Porcini mushrooms (dried)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease (or vegetable oil)
- 1 pound ground venison or other wild game (ground beef or pork would work too)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup water (0r reserved pasta water)
- 2 tablespoons tomato powder
- 1.5 oz More Than Gourmet Venison Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Himalayan pink salt
- 16 oz bucatini pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
*Disclosure: I was provided with product to cook with and Savory Spice Shop is sponsoring the giveaway. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.