Summer Salads in Jars with Dubliner Cheese Crisps & Avocado Dressing are ideal for summer get togethers, picnics and backyard cookouts.
Lately I feel like our new little puppy, running in circles, chasing my tail. I am struggling to keep up. You know it’s bad when the neighbor comes to check on you because you haven’t posted any food photos on Facebook lately.
I’ve been loving the Kerrygold monthly challenges, it’s always fun to have a set of ingredients and a theme for recipe inspiration. I thought that the May challenge was for summer salad but at the last minute I discovered it was breakfast pastries. Last minute just might be my middle name. I threw these amazing Strawberries and Cream Puff Pastry Bites together (which won the challenge, YAY!) and set the salads aside for June. So we are nearly to the end of June and salads have been tasting so good the last few weeks.
I love cheese crisps but had never actually made them. I was thinking our favorite Dubliner Cheese would be mega delicious and of course they were. It took me a couple of tries to get them the right size but they could not be easier. Can you grate cheese and turn on the oven? Well then you can make cheese crisps!
I just threw a simple salad together with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. I added them to little jars, making them ideal for summer meals. I don’t very often make my own salad dressing but I had an avocado that was a little too soft to toss in the salad. That turned out to be a very good thing.
The best part about salad is that you can add what ever you like and it’s easy enough to customize for everyone. You could easily set up a salad bar station for your next cookout, with different toppings and dressings. Just don’t skip the cheese crisps! They are so, so good!
- 4 cups red leaf lettuce
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- 4 tablespoons finely grated Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
- 1 small, ripe avocado
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Divide lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers into 4 jars. You can make these ahead of time, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To prepare cheese crisps!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place tablespoons of grated cheese onto a lined baking sheet (a silicone baking sheet works best) about 2 inches apart. Slightly spread cheese into a thin layer. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Add avocado and all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a container, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve Salads with Cheese Crisps and Avocado Dressing.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Kerrygold monthly blog challenge. I received products for recipe development purposes but I am not compensated for this post. I do have the chance to win prizes for participating. Kerrygold is a staple in my kitchen and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Miss in the Kitchen a success.