Smoky BLT White Pizza is a quick weeknight dinner perfect for back to school!
Kids- “What’s for supper, Mom? ”
Me- “Uh, no clue!”
This is our normal after school conversation, especially when my work schedule explodes like it did last week. I had picked up some refrigerated pizza dough dreaming of a ricotta and home grown tomato pizza, well that never happened but this supper was something even better!
I always prefer white sauce to red on my pizzas but I don’t get them very often. I used a few of the roasted garlic cloves I had stashed in the fridge – have you made roasted garlic? Oh man, I’m using those little flavor bombs for everything! Anyway, I used the roasted garlic cloves to make the most delicious white sauce for this pizza. I topped it with smoked cheddar cheese, bacon, spinach, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. The best!
I am loving having garden fresh tomatoes and basil just out my back door. Most of our plants are in containers but Emmet just had to have a watermelon plant. That kid could live on watermelon. We have picked two and they are so good!
They are huge, sweet and so delicious. Emmet was eating a big slice and declared- “Hey I grew my own food!” That kind of made my day. This was half of one melon, they are seriously huge. I had just cut this beauty up when I was getting the pizza out of the oven so I snapped a photo just to brag. Hey we grew watermelons!
We had watermelon and this Smoky BLT White Pizza and it was a quick and easy dinner. The whole clan gave it two thumbs up. Add this to your menu, it works even on the craziest of days!
- 1 pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese - I used smoked cheddar
- ½ cup sliced grape tomatoes
- fresh basil cut into ribbons for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll pizza dough into a thin rectangle and place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Place butter into a small saucepan and place over medium heat, just as butter starts to brown, whisk in flour. Cook for about 1 minute and whisk in cream and milk. Add salt and garlic. Continue to cook, whisking continuously until sauce starts to bubble. Lower to simmer and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over crust. Top with bacon, spinach and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Top with sliced tomatoes and basil.
- Serve immediately