As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
With Virtual Potluck & SoCal Avocados. You may remember me mentioning SoCal Avocados last spring. I can’t really put into words how great these avocados are. My Virtual Potluck friends have created a great assortment of delectable recipes that you are going to want to try as soon as possible! Be sure to see my round up post for all of the links!
Why order avocados online from SoCal Avocados?
- You will be supporting a small farm from California, which I personally find great satisfaction in. Being a small rancher I can appreciate what it takes to keep a small place going and I love knowing where my food comes from. It is of great importance to me to support the farms, ranches and small businesses of the United States.
- SoCal Avocados offers the greatest customer service with amazing attention to detail. Avocados ripen after they are picked from the tree. So each order is hand-picked and carefully packed for each order. You will not find a fresher avocado, unless you have your own tree! (Sadly I do not!)
- Free shipping! And their prices are extremely affordable.
- SoCal Avocados offers many varieties of avocados. I am pretty sure the only variety I have ever seen at a grocery store was Haas. Some of the different varieties are:
- Bacon: Large smooth green skin avocados, slightly sweet flavor.
- Fuerte: Looks much like a Bacon except smaller,smooth, creamy and rich flavor. (My favorite)
- Pinkerton: Large body rough skin avocado with a thin neck. Good for Guacamole.
- Hass: Thick rough skin. Blackens when ripe but not the only indicator of ripeness, buttery taste, creamy and smooth.
SoCal Avocados offers a Avocado of the Month program! How cool would that be? What a great gift for those who are so hard to buy for!
Now wouldn’t you like a chance at winning a whole dozen avocados delivered fresh to your door?
AND THE WINNER IS: “Libby February 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm I would LOVE to try the bacon avocados!”
To enter, head on over to SoCal Avocados and leave a comment here, telling me which variety you would most like to try.
For extra entries:
- Sign up for SoCal Avocados emails (found on left column of page).
- Follow SoCal Avocados on twitter.
- Sign up for Miss in the Kitchen emails or in your Rss feed.
- Leave a comment for each.
Open to US addresses. Entries will be accepted through Saturday, February 25, 2012.
Shrimp & Avocado Salad Cups
- 2 cups cooked shrimp, chopped small
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, diced and tossed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 6 tablespoons milk
1 bag Tostito Cups or tortilla chips for serving.
In a large bowl, combine, shrimp, tomato, cilantro, avocado, jalapeno and green onion. Set aside.
In a food processor or blender combine all dressing ingredients and pulse 15 to 20 times, scraping down sides and continue to process until smooth.
Pour dressing over shrimp and avocado mixture, stirring tom combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve with Tostito Cups or tortilla chips.
*Would also be great rolled up into a flour tortilla!