This was a fabulous side dish that would pair quite nicely with a grilled chicken breast, fish or even a steak. This was so hearty that it could actually be a meal, especially if you throw in a little meat. I really loved the Bob's Red Mill Whole Grande Grains, a combination of whole grain wheat, brown rice, oats, rye, triticale, barley, Kamut berries, buckwheat and sesame seeds. This was my first time to try the Grande Grains and I will be adding it to the menu frequently.
The Miller's Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a fruity beginning balanced with a warm lingering spice at the end, pairing perfectly with the orange and garlic flavors.
AND THE WINNER IS: Bonnie K January 12, 2012 at 6:35 am
Now would you like to get your hands on these fabulous grains & a bottle of this versatile, flavorful olive oil? One lucky reader will receive one package of Bob's Red Mill Whole Grande Grains and a bottle of Miller's Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil from California Olive Ranch.
Entries will be accepted through Tuesday, January 17,2012. US addresses only.
Required entry: Visit either Bob’s Red Mill or California Olive Ranch’s Facebook pages and retrieve this week’s Virtual Potluck code word. Then use that code word in a sentence for your comment here.
- For an extra entry: Follow Bob’s Red Mill, California Olive Ranch and VirtualPotluck’s on Twitter and tweet the following, “Win A Healthy New Year Prize Pack from @Missnthekitchen, @CA_EVOO & @Bobs_Red_Mill http://wp.me/p1Xrnn-1×9 #VirtualPotluck ” Leave a link back to your tweet here.
- Follow Virtual Potluck on facebook and leave a comment here that you do.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen on facebook and leave a comment here that you do.
Sesame-Stir Fry Vegetable Grande Grains Pilaf
- 3 tablespoon Miller's Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided use
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Grande Whole Grains
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms, baby portabella or white
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 12 oz steamed stir fry vegetables
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
In a large sauce pan add 1 tablespoon Miller's Blend Olive Oil and Grande Whole Grains, stir to coat. Cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes, stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cover, cook one hour our until liquid is absorbed.
About 10 minutes before grains are done, add 2 tablespoons Miller's Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, mushrooms and water chestnuts . Cook until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add orange juice, sesame oil and soy sauce. Lower heat to simmer. Stir in stir fry vegetables and Grande Whole Grains. Cook 2 minutes stirring until thoroughly mixed. Garnish with sliced almonds.