Last week we spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday attending the High School State Basketball Championships. Our high school boys team placed fourth, everyone was really proud of the boys. After traveling to the “big city” three days in a row, I am a little behind to say the least.
Can you say giant
pile mountain O’laundry? Yes that is what I will be tackling for the next several days. But I know you didn’t come here to hear about my laundry problems. Since I finally had everyone home on Sunday, I decided to put off the laundry and make something special for breakfast.
I started to make cinnamon rolls but went for something quicker so it would be ready when the boys woke up. Sure enough, as soon as I had poured the sweet White Chocolate Glaze over these Orange Scented Scones, the boys were up and rubbing their eyes, ready to eat.
These Orange Scented Scones with White Chocolate Glaze makes the perfect breakfast for Sunday morning and it’s a good sized batch so you may even have some left to start the week.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 large oranges
- ½ cup Kerrygold Irish Butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3.5 oz Green & Black's White Chocolate Bar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour mixture until it is about pea size.
- Add cream and milk and stir together until dough forms a ball.
- Pour onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1-inch thickness.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut into circles. Place about an inch apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.
- Break white chocolate into small pieces and place in a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl. Add milk and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until white chocolate is melted and smooth. If chocolate is not melted continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between until all melted and smooth. Stir in powdered sugar until well combined.
- Pour glaze over scones as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store cooled scones in an airtight container for up to 2 days.