As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Baked Beans are a must-have for any summer cookout, potluck or family get together. Made with a homemade barbecue sauce and loads of bacon for a the best flavor combination of smoky, savory and sweet. You won’t find a tastier version!
Baked Beans were never my favorite side dish but this recipe quickly changed my mind! We will be making these for every barbecue and cookout we have this summer! They are thick, smoky and delicious.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
For the best baked beans, you just need a few staple ingredients and this recipe comes together in just about 15 minutes. Let the beans cook slow for a hearty and delicious side dish.
How to Make Easy Baked Beans:
- On a plate, mix together: brown sugar, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, dry mustard and red pepper flakes.
- Dredge bacon on both sides and layer onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, bacon will be about 3/4 of the way done, it will continue to cook with the beans in the oven.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Dice onion and bell pepper and cook in a skillet with olive oil until vegetables are softened.
- Add pork and beans to a casserole dish with sautéed vegetables, homemade barbecue sauce, liquid smoke and chopped bacon.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours. Remove the lid, stir and cook for 30 minutes to one hour longer until beans are thickened.
- Remove from oven and stir to mix well.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
Crock Pot Instructions:
Follow directions and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
How to Make Baked Beans Ahead:
For the best baked beans, you will want to actually bake them the day you plan to serve them. You can assemble (without the bacon) and refrigerate the mixture a day or two in advance. Cook the bacon and stir into the mixture before baking the beans.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store baked beans in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
To reheat, bake covered at 325° for 25 minutes or until heated through.
The Secret to the Best Baked Beans:
Cook your bacon about 1/2 to 3/4 done for the best texture and flavor in your beans. I highly recommend adding the brown sugar and spices to the bacon before you cook it in the oven. This is a genius idea that I picked up from this baked beans recipe!
The Homemade Barbecue Sauce makes all the difference in this recipe! It only takes a few ingredients and a few minutes to make and it is so good. We use this recipe for grilling chicken, burgers and for dipping our favorite fried chicken strips. Please, please give it a try!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 3 cans pork and beans (15 ounce cans)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups homemade barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
Preheat oven to 400°.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix brown sugar with garlic, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, dry mustard and red pepper flakes together on a plate.
Dredge bacon in brown sugar mixture on both sides and layer on lined baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. When cooled, cut into bite sized pieces.
Lower oven temperature to 325°.
Meanwhile, cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil over medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 6- 8 minutes.
Using a 3 to 4 quart baking dish, add pork and beans, cooked vegetables, homemade barbecue sauce, liquid smoke and chopped bacon. Stir to combine.
Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 2 hours. Remove lid or foil and stir beans.
Continue to cook 30 minutes to 1 hour until beans are thickened.
Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
Store leftover beans in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Reheat covered in a 325° oven for about 25 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe can be doubled to feed a crowd.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 1785mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 8gSugar: 26gProtein: 13g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.