When I first heard that my friend, Susan from DoughMessTic was working on a cookbook, I was so excited. I have been dying to get my hands on it and guess what? It is here! The Everything Ice Cream, Gelato and Frozen Desserts Cookbook.
We are talking 300 frozen dessert recipes!
- Ice cream, ice milk, and frozen yogurt
- Sherbets and sorbets
- Italian gelato and other international frozen desserts
- Vegan and sugar-free frozen desserts
Doughmesstic is one of my very favorite blogs. You can always count on Susan to have something totally mouthwatering and delicious and not just sweet stuff. Did you see the Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes? Mercy. Plus she creates the most amazing cakes, there is no limit to her creativity and talent. If this sounds like I'm Doughmesstic's number 1 fan, it might be true.
I had never had orange ice cream before but I love dreamsicles and couldn't wait to try it. Fabulous, it is fabulous! The name says it all it is creamy and dreamy. I might have to make a double batch next time because I really had a hard time making myself share this with the boys! It is a no-cook recipe which makes it so easy!
Ice cream is the favorite dessert at our house. My seven year old would eat it morning, noon and night. Most mornings he wakes up and asks for ice cream. I'm not even kidding. So I know I'm going to be trying every single recipe in this book!
Now go on over to Amazon and order a copy or two. This would be the ideal gift for everyone! And for one lucky person I have a copy to give away.
We have a winner! Kim in MD "If I have to pick just one favorite flavor of ice cream, it would be vanilla! Boring, I know, but it is a blank canvas for toppings!"
Congrats to Kim & thanks to everyone who entered!
- Leave a comment telling me your favorite ice cream flavor.
- Follow Doughmesstic on facebook.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen on facebook.
- Follow Doughmesstic & Miss in the Kitchen on twitter and tweet the following:
"Enter to win The Everything Ice Cream Cookbook by @doughmesstic from @Missnthekitchen http://bit.ly/KcvxDd #giveaway Pls RT"
Giveaway open to US residents, sponsored by Doughmesstic, entries received through Sunday, May 20, 2012. All opinions are my own.
If you are looking for a trip down memory lane, look no further. This creamy, orange ice cream will take you back to summer vacations and ballgames in the park when nothing but that tangy popsicle could remedy the afternoon heat.
Dreamy Orange Ice Cream
from: Everything Ice Cream, Gelato, and Frozen Desserts Cookbook by Susan Whetzel
Yield: 1 quart
- ⅔ cup sugar
- Zest of 4 medium oranges
- 1 ½ cups Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier, optional
Adding Zest to Sugar
This recipe calls for the zest of the oranges and the sugar to be pulsed in a food processor, but a similar and effective method is to use your fingers. Simply add the zest to the sugar and continue to knead and squeeze the mixture until the zest has released its scent and become a part of the sugar.
Then continue with the recipe as directed. This method is also very useful when making baked goods, such as pie crusts, where you may like a little extra kick of flavor.
1. Combine the sugar and orange zest in a food processor and pulse until the sugar and zest are very well combined.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and pulse thoroughly for several minutes, until all of the sugar has dissolved.
Allow to chill for 1-3 hours.
3. Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.